Can I bring my dog to Jamaica with me?
We will be visiting your beautiful country in a few months via our sailboat.
We have a 7 year old dog that travels w/ us. I read somewhere that she wouldn't be allowed entry....is this in fact true or is there a way around this? Like could we just keep her on board the entire time we're there?
She's been fully vaccinated & we have all her papers. Please let me know as this really affects our travels to your beautiful country.
ANSWER: July-29-2009 by Wellesley Gayle
From my little research, the only countries that currently can legally bring in dogs to Jamaica are UK and Ireland.
I extracted this information (below) from the Animal Health Services page on our ministry of Agriculture's website that might be insightful to you though.
Conditions for Importing Dogs and Cats into Jamaica
1. No dog or cat shall be imported into the island except such animal is imported directly from Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Republic of Eire.
2. Every dog or cat imported into Jamaica must be accompanied by an import permit from the Veterinary Division in the Ministry of Agriculture (Jamaica).
3. On arrival at Kingston, which shall be the ONLY port of entry into the island, every dog or cat shall be examined by an inspector appointed under the Law, and if free of infectious or communicable diseases it may be landed.
4. Every dog or cat imported into Jamaica must be accompanied by a certificate stating that there has been no Rabies in unquarantined dogs, cats or other animals in the country from which it was exported.
This certificate shall be given:
a. In the case of Great Britain by the Ministry of Agriculture- Fisheries and Food, Hook Rise, Tolworth, Surbiton, and Surrey.
b. In the case of Northern Ireland by the Ministry of Agriculture,Belfast
c. In the case of Republic of Eire by the Department of Agriculture- Dublin.
5. No dog or cat imported into the island shall be landed if it has been in contact with any dog or cat other than a dog or cat coming directly from Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Republic of Eire; or a dog or cat that has been release from quarantine in those countries in respect of Rabies; and which in either case has been granted an official certificate from a country of origin referred to above.
6. Dogs and cats vaccinated against Rabies are not allowed entry into Jamaica.
Of course, I also learnt that yacht and cruise ships are ways people get around the law.
Also, since are keeping her on board, you should be fine, but you probably should get confirmation from an authority there.
Their contact numbers are 876-927-1731 up to 50.
For more information, I would suggest you visit the website
and follow the links from there.
I hope that helps.Stay in touch
Related Pages:Animals in JamaicaAnimals in our EcoSystemsJamaican LawsGeneral Q&A about JamaicaOur Jamaica BlogAnd even more...Search Here
Like What You Just Read?
Please join me in my effort to share the beauty and uniqueness of Jamaica with the world through insightful and interesting articles or stories.
You can do so by sharing this insightful narrative on the social media of your choice and ask others to do the same (BELOW).
Get Free Updates & Tips!
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates, tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica!
I'll Gift You A FREE COPY of my eBook, 101 Intriguing Facts About Jamaica - just for subscribing!
Just enter your email & name below:
Now, It's Your Turn! :-)
I'd like to hear from you, please click here to share your thoughts and opinions, right now.