herbs and practices for illnesses in Jamaica
(Oak Harbor Wa, USA)
I was wondering what are some of the attitudes and practices concerning sickness?
What types of medicine or herbs are used to prevent and cure illnesses?
I am doing a report on Jamaica and this is one of the questions it wanted me to answer :).
ANSWER: by Wellesley Gayle January 28, 2010
I am not too clear on your first question, so I am going to ask you to be just a bit more specific by adding comments below.
The second one is easy. While the metropolitan Jamaican may not necessarily be aware of these, the truth is that many herbs (inc. bushes and seeds) are still used for medicinal purposes in the rural communities. Many are used to make tea, while others are rubbed on.
- Leaf-of-life -Good for colds, bronchitis, hypertension and headaches.
- Shame-A-Macka -Also good for colds, chest pains and stomach pains
- Dandelion -For skin disorders as well as jaundice, bladder, liver and dropsy.
- Marijuana (Ganja) -used as eye drop for glaucoma. Tea for diabetes and asthma.
- Bizzy Nut -for food poisioning, as well as menstrual cramps, headache, gout, rheumatism, jaundice, nausea, vomiting, and upset stomach.
- Cerassee -for colds, stomach problems and laxative.
- Ginger -Many uses, improves digestion.
- Soursop Leaves -For colds and nerves problems.
- Sarsaparilla -for arthristis, and other pains of the body.
- Comfrey -for diarrhoea, colds and coughs, sprains, arthritis.
- Jackanana bush -cold, fever and influenza.
- Orange peel -Tea used for stomach aches.
- Spirit Weed -used for colds, headaches,epilepsy and ulcers.
- Fever Grass -for fever and colds.
- Spanish Needle -for colic and indigesition.
- Periwinkle (Ramgoat roses) -Used for diarrhoea and nerve conditions.
- Aloe Vero (Sinkle-Bible) - Good laxataive and body cleanser, also good for acne and skin blemishes.
I hope that help your research. Stay in touch
Related Pages:History and Culture Q & AJamaican PlantsJamaican CultureMarijuana in JamaicaOur Jamaica BlogAnd even more...Search Here
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to JamaicaQuestions.
Looking For Something Special?
In most cases, we have what you are looking for. Just search the entire site using this Google Search bar (below).
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Was The Information Helpful?
Great! Please help me get the message out by sharing with your friends on social media (links below)
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Top Of Page
Need More Help?
We have a cherry list of top Jamaican companies that might be able to help you. Please click here to see them, our preferred partners and site sponsors.