How To Improve Your Brainpower This Year!
by Rashida Bryan
(St. Catherine, Jamaica)
It is a new school year again or for others its a new work year.
Either you are in high school or university or go to work and you decide that ‘hey am going to do better academically this new school year’or 'hey am gonna improve what I do at work'.
I am here to help you achieve this.
This article will help you to increase your brainpower to retain more information, to help you choose the right foods, which can improve your brainpower and some study tips to help you remember more.
Let us start with the things that can make us forget things. You know what am talking about: you are in an exam room and you start writing feverishly, then all of a sudden, you forget your notes. Alternatively, you forgot to do your homework or assignment or some important stuff:
- Smoking can actually affect your memory.
Therefore, you young lads out there who believes ganja and cigarette is good for you, you are making a mistake. Smoking can decrease the circulation to your brain . It also decreases oxygen to your brain making you less alert and forgetful. No need to wonder how you study so hard and cannot remember what you studied.
- If you are physically inactive, it can contribute to you forgetting things. How is this so? By being inactive, your brain gets less supply of oxygen-rich blood. By getting less oxygen –rich blood you become dull, unalert and lazy.
- If you are overweight or obese, this can affect your mind. By being obese or overweight your blood pressure and cholesterol levels increase thus making your heart pump harder to get food and oxygen to your brain.
- Having diabetes can affect the brain if it is out of control. If it is out of control, it can affect that part of the brain that is involved in storing information.
- Having emotional problems can cause you to forget your notes, what you studied etc… it can affect your ability to concentrate on your academic pursuits. Experiencing severe stress can produce hormones that affect the brain. If you have depression or if you drink alcohol these can also affect the mind, thereby decreasing the brain’s true capacity.
- Sometimes your doctor can prescribe drugs that can change your brainpower or output. Over the counter drugs can also alter your brain. Some drugs that do these are anti-depressants, muscle relaxants, sleeping pills, painkillers and tranquilizers.
- If you have trouble sleeping this can affect your memory. When you sleep, your brain gets a chance to process information more and accumulate what you have learnt.
- If you have hypothyroidism, this can change your memory or brainpower. It is a disorder of the thyroid gland. It is where the thyroid gland produces fewer hormones thus causing the body’s metabolism to slow down and results in sufferers having less energy, less alertness and decreased mental vigour.
- Eating right is essential in wanting to retain what you have learnt from your teachers or lecturers. No amount of ‘so so’ studying can do this. You have to eat right. And that means having your breakfast in the mornings. Remember that all through out the night you have not eaten anything and if you studied during the night, in the mornings your brain is going to be hungry. It needs food to function properly, to retain what you have studied the night before and to be alert in class in the mornings.
At lunch times, get something to eat or drink, even if it’s a cheese and a fruit drink. Cut down on the sugary foods and beverages like sweets and soft drinks. Sugary foods and beverages leads to a decline in the processes of the brain to learn.
Try foods and beverages that have anti-oxidants and are nutritious. Drink a lot of fresh water. Becoming dehydrated in class can make you lose concentration.
- Consume a lot of B complex vitamins and take supplements such as tablets that contain essential
vitamins and minerals. B complex vitamins aid in protecting nerve cells. Thiamine (vitamin b1) results in vigour and endurance. A lack of thiamine results in fatigue. It makes you lazy and so it will definitely affect your study.
Vitamin A eases the strain of the eyes when studying. It helps us to see better and is good for students who do a lot of studying. Lack of iodine can result in the lack of mental alertness and efficiency. It is best to consume a general amount to counter this effect.
Some studying tips are:
- Composing Mental Pictures :- This involves conjuring up images in your brain about a particular topic. For example, composing the images of warfare between two countries or the life of the Arawaks. Try to compose everything that the topic speaks about. Try to remember things by visualization. It can be helpful.
- Repetition of Information: - By repeating over and over again what you have learnt or studied, it will eventually ‘stick’ in your head.
This can be done by talking to yourself or reading in your mind over and over again. However, make sure that you understand what you are reading!
- Writing Information Down:- This is putting on paper what you have just read in your own words. For example, you read a paragraph about the reproductive system in animals then you write it down on a piece of paper in your own words without looking at the original paragraph.
- Using Recorders and Tapes:- By recording yourself on tape and playing it back again, you can retain more. Try to be interesting on the tape. You could play the tapes at your own convenience e.g. While driving in a car or while at home. The cost for a small recorder is about $2000 and is sold at electronic stores. It uses headphones.
- Flashcards:- These are cards that have condensed information about a particular topic. Can be useful while studying. It is also convenient e.g. while in the lunch line or while driving you could take it out to revise.
- Using Music:- This is not recommended for all. Tests have shown that music improves the memory i.e. it makes us remember more. If you know that you can be distracted by music (esp. dancehall music), do not try it. I recommend smooth music. Music that can relax your mind but not put you to sleep.
Alternatively, you could listen to music just before you study not during. I can listen to music while studying and not all people can do that so it is recommended that you listen to music before studying.
Foods to improve your Memory
Rich in Antioxidants
Green, leafy vegetables
Rich in Vitamin B6
Rich in Omega-3s
Green leafy vegetables
Rich in Choline(one of the B complex vitamins)
Rich in Folate
Green, leafy vegetables
Rich in Zinc
Rich in vitamin B12
Foods to help the eyesight to make you see better
Vitamin A Foods
Fish- liver oils
Foods to Increase Mental Alertness and Intelligence
Glutamic Acid Foods(glutamic acid is an enzyme that helps to supply oxygen to the brain. It can help to increase a person’s intelligence)
Foods that Helps to Eliminate Fatigue
Thiamine Rich Foods
Riboflavin Rich Foods
Beet and turnip greens
©2013 Rashida Bryan
*Some part of this article’s information was taken from Vitality Through Planned Nutrition by Adelle Davis and How To Improve Your Memory from the editors of Health, published by Oxmoor House®.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to article_submission.
Recommended For You
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool, It works!
Or, simply click here to ask me the question. I'll do my best to get back to you within 24 hours!
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on great Jamaican products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products from their inventory.
As an ardent customer and affiliate I earn a small commission from your purchase, at no extra cost to you. So thanks in advance.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Ready To Vacation?
Please Book With Us...
Was the information helpful to you?
Here is a great way to support our effort.
All you need to do is book your vacation via the reputable HotelsCombined.com search box below.
It can be for travel to Jamaica or anywhere else on earth.
They combine the best deals from across all major booking sites and shows you only the very best!
Not quite ready to book? Start by searching (below) to get some amazing ideas now.
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Top Of Page