Jamaican Ackee & SaltFish Recipe - Quick n Easy!
Jamaican Ackee & SaltFish Recipe
As we celebrate emancipation and independence this year, it came to me that I should share this authentic Jamaican recipe with you...
Yup, Ackee & Saltfish, Jamaica's national dish!
And and easy (simple and easy) version.
By the way, in my last newsletter mailing
, I challenged my other subscribers, especially those in foreign countries.
The challenge was to do (or share) something Jamaican as we celebrate Jamaica's culture
during the Emancipation and Independence holidays this year.
And what better way to share in the culture and 'taste' of Jamaica than to enjoy it's national dish... the traditional way?
So here is it! ACKEE & SALTFISH RECIPE - JAMAICA'S NATIONAL DISH!INGREDIENTS:
- 2 dozen ackees (pods) or 1 tin of ackee
- l lb codfish (salt fish)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 small green sweet pepper
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- 2 stalks escallion & Jamaican thyme
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1/4 oz black pepper
- Soak codfish in fresh water overnight to cut down on sodium
- Boil and flak codfish
- Remove seeds and red segment from ackee
- Wash and cook ackees in boiling water, only until pulp is tender.
- Saute onion, sweet pepper, thyme, tomatoes, escallion in cooking oil in a skillet.
- Add flaked codfish and cooked ackee to skillet
- Add black pepper and stir
- Served hot!
That's it! Enjoy!
And let me know how it came out OK.
I welcome your comments here
Remember, we have lots more free Jamaican recipes here
And Before You Go!
You are welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube