Jamaican Rice and Peas Recipe
Jamaican Rice and Peas & Chicken
- 3 cups of rice
- 1 can of tinned or 1 cup of fresh red peas (either kidney beans or pigeon peas)
- 5 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 uncut scotch bonnet pepper (1 jalapeno pepper may be used as a substitute)
- 3 Scallion (spring onions may be used as a substitute)
- 1 tin (or one cup) of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme (2 teaspoons of dried thyme may be used as a substitute)
- If you are using fresh peas then wash these
- Pour on three cups of water and leave to soak overnight (nb - there is no need to do this if you are using tinned peas)
- Crush the garlic and add to seven cups of boiling water
- If you are using fresh peas add them now and boil for 45 minutes.
- You can test to see if the peas are cooked by crushing them against the lid of the pot. (If they crush easily, you are ready to move on to the next step). NB - If you are using tinned peas jest add them to the pot and move straight on to the next step.
- Add your coconut milk, rice, salt, black pepper and thyme to the mix.
- Crush the scallion (do not chop) and add this.
- Also add the uncut scotch bonnet pepper, nb - the pepper remains uncut so as to not make the rice spicy, just give it a subtle peppery flavour.
- The Rice and Peas should be ready after about 40 minutes (exact cooking time will depend on the brand of rice used).
- The Rice and Peas is now ready to serve!
Thanks For Reading!
Like What You Just Read?
You Are Also Welcome To Follow Us On...
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
We have a cherry list of top Jamaican companies that might be able to help you. Please click here to see them, our preferred partners and site sponsors.
Top Of Page
And Before You Go!
You are welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...