Jamaican Rice and Peas Recipe
Jamaican Rice and Peas & Chicken
- 3 cups of rice
- 1 can of tinned or 1 cup of fresh red peas (either kidney beans or pigeon peas)
- 5 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 uncut scotch bonnet pepper (1 jalapeno pepper may be used as a substitute)
- 3 Scallion (spring onions may be used as a substitute)
- 1 tin (or one cup) of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme (2 teaspoons of dried thyme may be used as a substitute)
- If you are using fresh peas then wash these
- Pour on three cups of water and leave to soak overnight (nb - there is no need to do this if you are using tinned peas)
- Crush the garlic and add to seven cups of boiling water
- If you are using fresh peas add them now and boil for 45 minutes.
- You can test to see if the peas are cooked by crushing them against the lid of the pot. (If they crush easily, you are ready to move on to the next step). NB - If you are using tinned peas jest add them to the pot and move straight on to the next step.
- Add your coconut milk, rice, salt, black pepper and thyme to the mix.
- Crush the scallion (do not chop) and add this.
- Also add the uncut scotch bonnet pepper, nb - the pepper remains uncut so as to not make the rice spicy, just give it a subtle peppery flavour.
- The Rice and Peas should be ready after about 40 minutes (exact cooking time will depend on the brand of rice used).
- The Rice and Peas is now ready to serve!
P.S. Not exactly what you are looking for? Click here to do a quick site search!
Please Book With Us...
Was the information helpful to you?
Here is a great way to support our effort.
All you need to do is book your vacation via the reputable Booking.com search box below . It can be for travel to Jamaica or anywhere else on earth.
I promise you'll get the best deal on accommodation available anywhere!
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Top Of Page
Need More Help?
We have a cherry list of top Jamaican companies that might be able to help you. Please click here to see them, our preferred partners and site sponsors.