Jamaican Solomon-A-Gundy Recipe
Solomon A Gundy
This is an amazing hor d'oeuvre that is spicy and very filling. This is very popular for mid-afternoon snacks, late night munches and fine accompaniment.
- 1 lb. Smoked Herring
- 1/2 dozen pimento (all spice)balls
- 1/2 cup Vinegar
- 1 Large Onion (chopped)
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper or Habernero Pepper
- 1 Stalk Escallion
- 1/2 tsp. Thyme
- 4 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- Bring water to boil after which you add the smoked herring to the water, allowing to boil for 15 minutes. This process will remove some of the salt from the fish. Discard the water.
- Warm the vinegar with the pimento and sugar on a low fire and stir occasionally to help the sugar dissolve. Do Not Boil.
- Remove bones and skin from the herring.
- Add the chopped onion, oil, peppers, escellion and thyme to a blender and puree for a minute.
- Ensure that he sugar is dissolved into the warm vinegar and then remove the pimento seeds.
- Add the fish and vinegar solution to the rest of the ingredients already in the blender and puree for another minute.
- Based on the consistency you desire, add more or less time to the puree period.
Serve with Crackers, pita bread or wraps. To add volumne and intricacy to the spicy concoction you can cream cheese or mayonnaise.
Source:OneStopDriva (Jamaica Observer)
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Favourite Jamaican Recipe.
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Was The Information Helpful?
Great! Please help me get the message out by sharing with your friends on social media (links below)
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Top Of Page
Need More Help?
We have a cherry list of top Jamaican companies that might be able to help you. Please click here to see them, our preferred partners and site sponsors.