Jamaican Easter Bun
Jamaican Easter Bun
by Rosa-Lee Phang
Tis the season of Easter bunny, Easter egg, Easter egg hunt, hot cross buns and the good old Jamaica Easter bun!
While Easter is just a day, we take pride in commemorating the temptation, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ during the period of March to April- lasting for approximately forty day each year.
Some of us are stricken to go to church and take part in tradditional practices based of the western traditions; while others from the eastern side Christian and non-Christian will have some difference in their celebration.
Yes we enjoy spiced bun all year in Jamaica but nothing to us like the specially 'marinated' Jamaican Easter Bun with all of the fruits and wine mix up and baked to perfection.
National, HTB, Yummy and Maxfield are four of the leading bakeries, each providing their own unique version of the Easter Bun.
And we still have those grandparents who will go through the extent of baking their own!
And can I tell you about the adverts?
They are something to behold in Jamaica - of course creating a sense of urgency to get your easter bun :-)
Two popular ones are ‘Oliver and Boise’ and Skatta (we know him better as Titus).
The real fulfillment comes from baking your very own though, and you are in luck today!
Here now is a very easy recipe for making your own Jamaica Easter Bun courtesy of GraceFoods.com
Recipe For Jamaican Easter Bun
- 2 ounce(s) Grace Margarine
- 1 bottle(s) stout
- 1/2 cup(s) wine
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla
- 1/2 tablespoon(s) Grace Browning
- 1 tablespoon(s) Grace Guava Jam
- 1 medium egg (optional)
- 8 ounce(s) dark sugar
- 1 pound(s) counter flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) baking powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) mixed spice
- 1/4 pound(s) mixed peel, chopped
- 1/4 pound(s) raisins, soaked
Now all you have to do is following the steps below and you can’t miss. Preparation time is approximately 10 mins. Cook time is one hour.
- Melt the margarine and allow to cool,
- Add stout, wine, vanilla, browning, guava jam and egg.
- Stir in the sugar and mix until all the granules are dissolves.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients then add the chopped mixed peel and raisins.
- Combine liquid mixture with dry ingredients and mix well.
- Scrape the batter in to a greased loaf pan (12”x4”x3”).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C/ 350 F or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool.
- Boil 2 tablespoons of water and 2 tablespoons of honey and use to glazed surface of bun.
- That's it :-)
Remember to have it with your favorite cheese!
Can't Bake? Or Prefer To Buy Your Jamaican Easter Bun Online?
Click Here to order directly from Amazon.com. They typically source from some of the best Jamaican bakeries.
Return to more great Jamaican Recipes from Jamaican Easter Bun
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Jamaica Easter Bun
Thanks For Reading!
Like What You Just Read?
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
And Before You Go!
You are welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Top Of Page
We have a cherry list of top Jamaican companies that might be able to help you. Please click here to see them, our preferred partners and site sponsors.