Jamiacan Fruits and Flowers In March
Jamaican Fruits & Flowers
Which fruits and flowers are in season at the end of March?
Feb-14-2009 by Wellesley Gayle
I cannot speak a lot on flowers, and I can tell you merely from experience about the fruits.
Bear in mind also that depending on where you are in the island, you might just find that a fruit may come in season there before other sections of the island.
For example, sections of St. Elizabeth and Clarendon does appear to reap mangoes earlier than other areas.
Any ways, below the ones I come up with that might be available during the March/April period each year.
And yes, most of these are available year round. Perhaps the only true seasonal ones at that time of the year are Mango, Naseberry, Jamaican Apple and Star Apple.
Remember however that this is not the entire list of fruits in Jamaica, their are lots more, for example guinep that is reaped later in the year.
For a more comprehensive list of Jamaican Fruits, take a look at this project
from the department of Chemistry at UWI, Mona. It is also the source for this list as well.
- ackee (Blighia sapida)
- avocado pear (Persea americana)
- bananas and plantain (Musa sapientum and M. paradisiaca)
- breadfruit (Artocarpus altilis)
- cashew (Anacardium occidentale)
- citrus (limes, oranges, ortaniques, tangerines, ugli, grapefruit etc)
- coconut (Cocos nucifera)
- coolie plum (Ziziphus mauritiana)
- custard apple (Annona reticulata)
- guava (Psidium guajava)
- hog apple (Noni) "duppy soursop" (Morinda citrifolia)
- jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus)
- Ja mangoes (Mangifera indica)
- naseberry (Manilkara zapota)
- otaheite apple (Jamaican Apple)(Syzygium malaccense)
- pawpaw (papaya) (Carica papaya)
- star apple (Chrysophyllum cainito)
- sweetsop (Annona squamosa) and soursop (Annona muricata)
- tamarind(Tamarindus indica)
- West Indian cherry (Malpighia punicifolia)
You are welcome to visit my page on flowers in Jamaica
for information on those.
And Before You Go!
You are welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube