My best Jamaican childhood memories
by Karen Jackson
My best child hood memories are from living in Jamaica!
- The joy of feeling proud to wear pink and blue uniform.
- The teachers and the principal cared with discipline.
- My helper taking me to beach - eating sugar on a daily basis.
- Taking the train to May Pen, the fun of looking out the window – watching the higglers going on and off the train.
- The delicious bammy and peppered fish.
- Tamarind in may pen along with jackass corn (pastry).
- Going to YS falls, and bluefields beach on weekends.
- The love displayed by other parents, keeping an eye on each others children while keeping care and disciplined in place.
- Buying fried fish, yam and bammy on the roadside.
- Driving to Kingston using the north side of the island and getting the excitement of finding flat bridge not flooded and seeing the bauxite pit - knowing if the car goes in no one is coming out.
My parents kept of lot of what Jamaica really is from me as child so it became a shock as an adult. There were bad memories also but all the fun stuff far outweighs them and provides the joy I feel when I think about my childhood in Jamaica.
Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/myislandjamaica
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/myislandjamaica
Thanks For Reading!
Like What You Just Read?
Please join me in my effort to share the beauty and uniqueness of Jamaica with the world. You can do so by sharing this insightful narrative with your friends on the social media of your choice and ask them to do the same (BELOW).
Great Articles You Might Have Missed...
We have a cherry list of top Jamaican companies that might be able to help you. Please click here to see them, our preferred partners and site sponsors.
Top Of Page
Get Exclusive Updates & Tips!
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica!
I'll Gift You A FREE COPY of my eBook, 101 Intriguing Facts About Jamaica - just for subscribing!
Just enter your email & name below: