places in jamaica named after our national heroes?
QUESTION: Do you know places in Jamaica named after our national heroes? eg. sam sharpe square?
by Wellesley October 27, 2011
Thanks for asking, I recognize that you are from home as well - great.
The Gleaner's Pieces of the Past series had some useful information on this.
Here is an excerpt from the 'Hero Highlights" subsection:
1) Gordon House is named after the Rt. Excellent George William Gordon. He was born in the parish of St. Andrew and his picture appears on the ten-dollar coin.
2) Edna Manley's statue of the Rt. Excellent Paul Bogle stands in front of the Morant Bay Courthouse in St. Thomas. He was born in the parish of St. Thomas and his picture appears on the ten-cent coin.
3) Marcus Garvey Drive is named after the Rt. Excellent Marcus Mosiah Garvey. He was born in the parish of St. Ann and his picture appears on the twenty-dollar and the twenty-five cent coins.
4) Norman Manley International Airport and the Law School at the U.W.I are named after the Rt. Excellent Norman Manley. He was born in the parish of Manchester and his picture appears on the five-dollar coin. He is buried at National Heroes Park.
5) Bustamante Highway and Port Bustamante are named after the Rt. Excellent Sir William Alexander Bustamante. He was born in the parish of Hanover and his picture appears on the one-dollar ($1) coin. He is buried at National Heroes Park. and of course...
6) Sam Sharpe Square in Montego Bay, in the center of Montego Bay and a landmark of the parish, was named after Samuel Sharpe.
I hope that helps.
See Also: Jamaica National Heroes
Related PagesFacts about JamaicaHistory of Jamaica Jamaican Travel GuideJamaica PicturesOur Jamaica BlogAnd even more...Search HereBack to My-Island-Jamaica.com Homepage
Reference:The Jamaica Gleaner - Pieces of the Pastdd October 15, 2001
Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/myislandjamaica
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/myislandjamaica
Articles You Might Have Missed...
Thanks For Reading!
Like What You Just Read?
Please join me in my effort to share the beauty and uniqueness of Jamaica with the world. You can do so by sharing this insightful narrative on the social media of your choice and ask others to do the same (BELOW).
We have a cherry list of top Jamaican companies that might be able to help you. Please click here to see them, our preferred partners and site sponsors.
Top Of Page
Get Exclusive Updates & Tips!
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica!
I'll Gift You A FREE COPY of my eBook, 101 Intriguing Facts About Jamaica - just for subscribing!
Just enter your email & name below: