Historical Events in Jamaica
by Jack Thompson
Historical Events in Jamaica
What is a historical event in Jamaican history?
Feb-13-2009 by Wellesley Gayle
Thanks for the question.
We have quite a few notable events in Jamaica's history.
Here is a quick summary by key dates leading up to Independence in 1962.
- 1494- Christopher Columbus discovered the island.
- 1509- The Spaniards occupied the country and remained in possession for 146 years.
- 1655- The English captured the island from the Spaniards and colonized the territory.
- 1692- Port Royal, which had become the focal point of the pirates plundering the Caribbean and Central America, was destroyed by earthquake and Kingston became subsequently the chief city and port.
- 1838- Slaves were emancipated and the economy foundered due to the crisis on the plantations.
- 1848- Britain’s free trade policy led to a further deterioration in the Jamaican economy because sugar protection was lifted and Jamaican sugar was in competition with cheaper sugar from elsewhere.
- 1865- The Morant Bay Rebellion broke out after prolonged disputes between the planters and the settlers.
- 1866- Crown Colony Government replaced the old system of representative government.
- 1870- An export trade in bananas replaced the predominance of sugar and restored the island’s economy.
- 1944- Universal adult suffrage was introduced under the new Constitution and proved to be the first step in the gradual move toward independence.
- 1953- A full ministerial system was established.
- 1958- Jamaica joined the federation of the West Indies, which was an association of 10 British Island territories in which Jamaica and Trinidad were the largest.
- 1959- The country was granted full internal self-government.
- 1961- Jamaica voted in a Referendum to secede from the Federation of the West Indies and to achieve Independence.
- 1962- The Federation was dissolved and Jamaica became independent on August 6th.
Here's the full story on the history of Jamaica
Recommended For You ...
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on matching products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products that are related to your search. Be sure to check them out.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
Top Of Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adores his culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' - since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 8,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
His efforts have earned him featured positions in local publications, including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers, as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies and universities.
He invites you to join his friends list and stay updated on all the latest. You are also invited to join his exclusive patron community.