Museums in Jamaica
The Best Galleries To Visit
Museums In Jamaica
contributed by Rosemarie Gordon-Cole
The establishment of Jamaican museums was born from a desire to create a vehicle that would promote some form of social grace amid the Jamaican society, this by way of exposing them to how people in other parts of the world lived.
This exposure was through the use of literature, science and art and was way back in the colonel days.
Sir Anthony Musgrave was the man that was consumed with the dream to create such a vehicle, and did so in 1879.
He founded the Institute of Jamaica, the first museum not just in Jamaican but also in the Caribbean.
One drawback to this otherwise brilliant implementation was that it only catered for a selected group of people who at that time were considered residents from the “upper echelons” of society.
It was not until the mid 1930 when a group of Jamaicans armed with exposure from being educated outside of Jamaica decided
that it was time that the ordinary Jamaicans got the opportunity to highlight “their places, faces and concerns” through the
programmes and exhibitions that were organized by the institute.
This revolution eventually gave birth to other forms of museums in Jamaican. To date there are twenty registered museums
(most of which are found in the eastern part of the island) and a number of small unlisted ones spread out across the island.
They offer a mixture of natural/national history, object centered, community and art.
Presently the Institute of Jamaica is located on East Street in Kingston, where is caters to the masses and oversees the
- Natural History Division (formally the science museum)
- National Gallery of Jamaica
- African Caribbean Institute of Jamaica/Jamaica Memory Bank
- Museums Division
In addition to the above mentioned institutes, here is a listing of some other notable Jamaican museums.
- National Art Gallery - 12 Ocean Blvd. Kingston - (876) 922- 1501/8540
- Liberty Hall - 12 East Street, Kingston - (876) 948 – 8639
- The Bob Marley Museum - 56 Hope Road, Kingston – (867) 927 9152
- National Gallery of Jamaica –12 Ocean Boulevard, Kingston – (876) 922–1561
- People’s Museum of Craft and Technology - Old Kings House Sq. Spanish Town - (876) 907–0322
- Clonmel Potters Gallary -84 Lady Mustgrave Rd, Kingston, 1(876) 978 3978
- Bob Marley Museum -56 Hope Rd, Kingston - (876) 927-9152/978-2993
- Gallery of West Indian Art -11 Fairfield Ave, Montego Bay - (876) 952-4547
- Hanover Museum -Lucea, Hanover 1(867) 956-2584
- Gallary Joe James -Rio Bueno, Trelawny, 1(876) 954-0048
- Outameni Experience –Trelawny – 1(876) 954-7035/617-0948/9
- Reggae Xplosion -Ocho Rios - 1(876) 675 8895
...Also See: Port Royal Jamaica
Return to Jamaican Culture from museums in Jamaica.
Return to HomePage from museums in Jamaica.
Back to Top of Jamaican museums
Make sure you subscribe to my free monthly e-zine My Island Jamaica
Digest (MIJD) and stay with the latest from Jamaica!
Pages Related To Museums In Jamaica
Recommended For You ...
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool, It works!
Or, simply click here to ask me the question. I'll do my best to get back to you within 24 hours!
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on great Jamaican products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products from their inventory.
As an ardent customer and affiliate I earn a small commission from your purchase, at no extra cost to you. So thanks in advance.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Ready To Vacation?
Please Book With Us...
Was the information helpful to you?
Here is a great way to support our effort.
All you need to do is book your vacation via the reputable HotelsCombined.com search box below.
It can be for travel to Jamaica or anywhere else on earth.
They combine the best deals from across all major booking sites and shows you only the very best!
Not quite ready to book? Start by searching (below) to get some amazing ideas now.
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Top Of Page