How to renew a US passport in Jamaica
How to renew a US passport in Jamaica? || Answered By Aneisha Dobson, Associate Writer
Here in Jamaica, matters associated with travel documents for the United States are generally dealt with at the US Embassy in Jamaica. As a result, most people usually associate the US Embassy with simply getting US visas.
However, the Embassy also offers services that assist and provide information for US citizens in Jamaica.
These services are offered by the American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit, located at the US Embassy in Kingston, and the Consular Agency in Montego Bay.
Therefore, if you’re a US citizen and you’re planning on renewing your passport, you will do so at these two locations.
So, what does the renewal process involve?
- It must be noted that a non-emergency renewal service will require an appointment.
So, your first order of business is to schedule an appointment for an interview at any one of the two locations.
The Embassy uses an Appointment System that allows applicants to make applications.
There are no charge for making and cancelling appointments. If you need to reschedule, you are required to cancel the original appointment and reschedule. Also, each applicant will need to make their own separate appointment.
If you’re requesting the appointment at the Montego Bay Consular Agency, you can contact them via the following:
U.S. Consular Agency – Montego Bay
Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM – 12:30 PM
Whitter Village, Ironshore
Unit EU-1 (across from Burger King)
(876) 953-3898 Fax
- Once you have successfully made the appointment you will need to complete the electronic application form using the passport wizard and print the application form.
You should use the DS-82 form if you meet the following criteria:
- You are an adult whose most current passport is valid for 10 years and it is still in your possession
- Your last passport was issued when you were age 16 or older
- Your last passport was issued within the past 15 years
- Your passport is undamaged and can be submitted with your application form
Here is the link to complete the application form.
- When you are visiting for the interview, you are required to bring only the following documents:
- DS-82 Application form (Be sure to electronically complete and print the application form before going to the Embassy for your appointment)
- Your current Passport and one photocopy of your passport
- One passport-sized photograph with a white background
- Fee for DHL delivery
- $110 USD (or Jamaican equivalent)
Also, if your name has been changed between your last issued passport and now, be sure to take an original name change document, such as marriage certificate, deed poll or birth certificate as proof.
A friendly reminder... when you’re visiting the embassy you’ll have to go through some security checks. In addition, electronic items, including cell phones, cameras, beepers, and pagers, are prohibited on the Embassy compound and should be secured elsewhere before entering the Embassy.
If you have more questions, you may contact the U.S. Embassy Kingston at:
142 Old Hope Road
Jamaica, West Indies
As usual, I welcome your comments
- U.S. Embassy. (n.d.). Adult Renewals. Retrieved from U. S. Embassy Kingston: https://jm.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-renewals/
- U. S. Embassy Kingston. (n.d.). Appointments. Retrieved from U. S. Embassy Kingston: .https://jm.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/appointments/
- U. S. Embassy Kingston. (n.d.). Embassy . Retrieved from U. S. Embassy Kingston: https://jm.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/embassy
- U. S. Embassy Kingston. (n.d.). Passports. Retrieved from U. S. Embassy Kingston: https://jm.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to JamaicaQuestions.
New! Looking for authentic Jamaican Grocery items? Click Here to check out my top recommendations on Amazon.com
Recommended For You ...
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on matching products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products that are related to your search. Be sure to check them out.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
Top Of Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adores his culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' - since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 8,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
His efforts have earned him featured positions in local publications, including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers, as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies and universities.
He invites you to join his friends list and stay updated on all the latest. You are also invited to join his exclusive patron community.