Is Ocho Rios Safe?
Tips for Your Trip to the Adventure Capital
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Is Ocho Rios Safe?
By Venesha Johnson | Associate Writer
If someone asked me what the top 5 safest places in Jamaica are, Ocho Rios would definitely be on that list. So if you are asking, is Ocho Rios safe? The answer is a resounding yes! It absolutely is.
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
Ocho Rios is one of the few places in Jamaica that is hardly ever in the local news. The town is really relaxing and chill and your entire mood will change for the better as soon as you get there. It is common for us to separate locals and tourists when we talk about safety. For example, when asked if Kingston, Jamaica is safe, most would probably say it is for the tourist but locals have a higher risk of incidentals. However, it is quite different in ocho rios as the town is safe for both locals and tourists alike.
This is not to say that Ocho Rios is immune to crime, but your likelihood of becoming a victim of criminal activities is relatively slim. So, while you won’t likely run into problems, safety precautions are necessary no matter where you go.
Is Ocho Rios Safe? Here are some tips for your trip:
- Use licensed and reputable transportation options, such as registered taxis or shuttle services recommended by your hotel. recommend getting in touch with the more popular tour companies or arranging transportation with the hotel or resort you are staying in.
- If renting a car, ensure it is from a reputable company and take note of any local driving customs or regulations, such as driving on the left side of the road.
- Avoid accepting rides from unauthorized individuals or unmarked vehicles.
- Plan ahead, whether you are visiting for a day or even a week it is important to have a plan. Do your research on the places you would like to visit and secure transportation to and from those places beforehand.
- Stay aware of your belongings in crowded places, such as markets, music festivals, or tourist attractions.
- Keep your bags and personal items close to you, preferably with a cross-body bag or a backpack worn on the front.
- Seek Local Advice, when in doubt about specific areas or attractions in Ocho Rios, it's always helpful to seek advice from locals, hotel staff, or trusted tour operators. They can provide valuable insights and recommendations to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience during your visit.
- Take note of any warning flags or signs on the beach and follow them accordingly.
- Be cautious of strong currents or undertows when swimming and only swim in designated areas.
- Avoid leaving your belongings unattended on the beach and consider using a waterproof bag to protect your valuables while swimming.
- It is regular for hustles to stroll the beach selling marijuana, avoid making purchases from them as it may attract consequences.
Nightlife and Entertainment:
- If you plan to enjoy the nightlife in Ocho Rios, stick to well-known establishments with positive reviews and a good reputation.
- Stay vigilant and aware of your surroundings, especially in crowded bars or clubs.
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption to maintain awareness and make sound decisions.
- Avoid travelling alone at night- It is advisable to travel in groups, especially during late hours. Stick to well-lit and populated areas.
Money and Documents:
- Carry only the essential documents and cash that you need for the day. Leave valuables, such as passports or large sums of money, in a secure place, like a hotel safe.
- Consider carrying a photocopy of your passport or other identification, leaving the original in a secure location.
- Use ATMs located in well-lit and secure areas, and be cautious of your surroundings when withdrawing money.
Local Customs and Laws:
- Respect the local customs and traditions of Jamaica. Dress modestly when visiting religious sites or more conservative areas.
- Familiarize yourself with the local laws and regulations to avoid inadvertently breaking any rules that could lead to legal issues.
- Be mindful of engaging in any illicit activities, as drug-related offences can have severe consequences.
While no travel destination can guarantee absolute safety, Ocho Rios, Jamaica, has taken steps to enhance security in its tourist zones. By following common-sense precautions, being aware of your surroundings, and seeking advice from locals, you can significantly reduce any potential risks. As with any trip, it's essential to stay informed and make well-informed decisions based on your own comfort level. Ocho Rios offers a vibrant and captivating experience that, with proper precautions, can be explored safely.
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Jamaican Food from Is Ocho Rios Safe
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Is Ocho Rios Safe
References & Sources For Is Ocho Rios Safe?
- Brown, E. (2023, May 21). Is Ocho Rios Safe To Travel? - EDBTRAVEL. Edbtravel.com. https://edbtravel.com/is-ocho-rios-in-jamaica-safe/categories/travel-tips/
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.