Jamaican Duckunoo (Blue Draws or Tie-A-Leaf)
Jamaican Dukunu (Blue Draws)
Blue Draws,Duckunoo or Tie-A-Leaf are the names that are given to this boiled pudding, which orginanated in West Africa.
This sweet treat is a starchy, green banana-based boiled pudding, which is predominantly enjoyed as a dessert. However, it can be incorporated as a snack.
It is suggested that ones you start eating it, it will be hard to stop. Don't take our word for it, try it for yourself!
- 3 cups grated green bananas
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 2.5 cups grated sweet potatoes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Place one cup mixture on to quailed banana leaves.
- Wrap and tie with string or banana bark..
- Put the small parcels into enough boiling water to cover
- Cook for one (1) hour.
Take from pot, cool and serve.
Source: One Stop Driva (Jamaica Observer)
See also: Tasty Jamaican Desserts