Jamaican Solomon-A-Gundy Recipe
Solomon A Gundy
This is an amazing hor d'oeuvre that is spicy and very filling. This is very popular for mid-afternoon snacks, late night munches and fine accompaniment.
- 1 lb. Smoked Herring
- 1/2 dozen pimento (all spice)balls
- 1/2 cup Vinegar
- 1 Large Onion (chopped)
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper or Habernero Pepper
- 1 Stalk Escallion
- 1/2 tsp. Thyme
- 4 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- Bring water to boil after which you add the smoked herring to the water, allowing to boil for 15 minutes. This process will remove some of the salt from the fish. Discard the water.
- Warm the vinegar with the pimento and sugar on a low fire and stir occasionally to help the sugar dissolve. Do Not Boil.
- Remove bones and skin from the herring.
- Add the chopped onion, oil, peppers, escellion and thyme to a blender and puree for a minute.
- Ensure that he sugar is dissolved into the warm vinegar and then remove the pimento seeds.
- Add the fish and vinegar solution to the rest of the ingredients already in the blender and puree for another minute.
- Based on the consistency you desire, add more or less time to the puree period.
Serve with Crackers, pita bread or wraps. To add volumne and intricacy to the spicy concoction you can cream cheese or mayonnaise.
Source:OneStopDriva (Jamaica Observer)
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Favourite Jamaican Recipe.
New! Talk To Me
Was the information helpful? Something needs changing? I welcome your feedback here.
Recommended For You ...
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on matching products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products that are related to your search. Be sure to check them out.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
Top Of Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adores his culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' - since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 8,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
His efforts have earned him featured positions in local publications, including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers, as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies and universities.
He invites you to join his friends list and stay updated on all the latest. You are also invited to join his exclusive patron community.