Jamaican Bamboo Benefits
Does It Really Have Medicbamboinal Benefits?
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Jamaican Bamboo Benefits | Holland Bamboo - St. Elizabeth
by Sheree-Anita Shearer | Associate Writer
Bamboo is popular in Jamaica for 2 reasons; the Bamboo rafts we all love to lounge on as we float along the Jamaican rivers and Bamboo Avenue in St. Elizabeth. Outside of that, you’ve probably seen impressively crafted bamboo furniture or heard of the bamboo being processed into tissue.
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
But did you know there are health benefits from bamboo too? I had no idea either!
Does bamboo grow in Jamaica?
Yes, bamboo grows in Jamaica, particularly in St. Elizabeth, Westmoreland and St. Catherine. It is that much more important to Jamaican farmers as the closely matted roots prevent soil erosion.
What kind of bamboo is found in Jamaica?
The most commonly found bamboo species in Jamaica is the Bambusa vulgaris. This is just one of the 1500 species grown around the world. Of course, other species have been brought to the island over the years but they haven’t been grown on as wide a scale as Bambusa vulgaris has.
What is bamboo good for?
Because of its durability, it is often used in the construction of houses, huts, boats, fences, props and furniture. It is also a raw material for paper pulp.
How fast does bamboo grow in Jamaica?
Bamboo grows very fast, up to 100 centimetres in 24 hours. Growth is affected by the environment the bamboos are in. They can grow to heights of 98 ft or they can be as small as 8 centimetres.
When was bamboo introduced to Jamaica?
It is believed that bamboo was brought to Jamaica in the 18th century from Hispaniola (now Haiti and the Dominican Republic).
What are some interesting facts about bamboo?
- Interestingly, bamboo is actually not a tree, it is a type of grass.
- It is also the fastest-growing land plant in the world.
- A fact that will be good to remember in the warm climate of Jamaica is, bamboo cools down the surrounding air by up to 8 degrees.
- Bamboo was used in making ancient books. We use bamboo to make paper now, be even before this, bamboo strips were used to make books.
- Bamboo can release more oxygen than hardwood
- Bamboo is naturally antifungal and antibacterial
- Bamboo was used in many historical inventions including the first successful attempt at the lightbulb.
- Bamboo is edible by both animals and humans. It is commonly eaten by pandas and in Asian countries, the soft shoots are included in stir-fries.
- When we think of bamboo colours, we immediately think of lush, deep green and maybe yellow. But did you know bamboos actually come in many other colours? Yes, they do. Bamboo can be pink, red, black or even blue!
What is Bamboo Used For?
Bamboo can be used to make:
- Craft Items
- HouseDrinking Straws
- Ornamental garden planting
- Bike Frames
- Kitchen Utensils
- Storage Containers
- Cotton Buds
- Musical instruments
- Art and writing materials
Health Benefits of Bamboo
Bamboos are 70% rich in silica, the largest plant source of silica on the planet. It is also a great potassium, manganese, calcium, collagen and folic acid source.
Bamboo strengthens your hair and nails.
It rejuvenates and tightens your skin due greatly to the presence of silica and collagen in the plant.
Bamboo also increases bone density and flexibility.
Watch Video! Medicinal Benefits of Jamaican Bamboo
How did we come to know about these benefits? Mrs. Lawrence knows quite a lot about bamboo and its health benefits and so she introduced it to us. You can watch the video below.
How to Use Bamboo
- Bamboo leaves can be used to make teas or can be dried and ground into a powder and added to smoothies, cakes and just about anything.
- It can be used in your beauty regimen by mixing the bamboo powder into a paste for a face mask. It can also be used to make mild soaps for the face and skin.
What are the characteristics of Bamboo?
Bamboo is known for its strength, flexibility, strong roots, height and durability.
Jamaica has actually been appointed head of the International Network for Bamboo and Rattan. There are strides to make bamboo a more integral part of the Jamaican economy by the Bureau of Standards Jamaica and the Bamboo and Indigenous Materials Advisory Council of Jamaica.
With these health and other benefits being realised, we might soon see a boom in the Bamboo industry. In fact, there are plans in place for a bamboo factory to begin operations in Westmoreland soon.
Watch Video! Does Bamboo Furniture Really Last?
The Original Bamboo Factory is ahead of the curve though with their exceptional bamboo furniture on display. Take a look right here.
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Jamaican Herbs from Jamaican Bamboo Benefits
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Jamaican Bamboo Benefits
References & Sources For Jamaican Bamboo Benefits
- Senior, Olive, Encyclopedia of Jamaican Heritage, 2003
- Wallace & Robinson, Creating Jamaica, Our Early Years, Carlong Publishers
- Black, Clinton V. History Of Jamaica, 2005
- Simpson, Joanne, M. Why Heritage, "A Guide To The Importance Of Our Jamaican Story"
- Sherlock, Phillip & Bennett, Hazel, "The Story Of The Jamaican People" (independence)
Jamaican Bamboo Benefits | Written: February 23, 2023
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.