with all that's new at My-Island-Jamaica, Click Here to subscribe
for my updates and don't miss a thing!
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
Jamaican Cabbage Recipe
Healthy And Delicious Jamaican Dish
Watch! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 60,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Jamaican Cabbage Recipe | Steamed Cabbage (Photo Credit: Healthiersteps.com)
by Venesha Johnson | Associate Writer
Cabbage is one vegetable that is a staple in every Jamaican household. It is very versatile too. One day it is the main dish, another day it can be a side.
There are many ways that we prepare cabbage, here are a few of the most common ways:
- Steamed cabbage
- Stir-fried cabbage
- Cabbage with corned beef
- Cabbage with saltfish
- Cabbage with fried chicken back
- Steamed vegetables (with cabbage, callaloo and pak choy)
- Cabbage with salt mackerel
If you are looking for a dish that is easy to prepare and can be ready in 30 minutes are less, steamed cabbage is the way to go. It is packed with flavour and makes the perfect side to accompany your rice and peas and jerk chicken or, pair it with some fried dumplings for a delicious breakfast and nutritious start to your day.
So, here are two awesome Jamaican Cabbage Recipes.
Jamaican Steamed Cabbage Recipe
- 1 whole medium cabbage
- 2 medium carrots
- Red and green bell peppers
- Scotch bonnet pepper
- Black pepper
- The first thing you need to do is fill a pot of water and set it to a boil. You will also need a metallic or ceramic bowl, big enough to cover the pot, steam your vegetables and form a double boiler. This method produces wet heat so the vegetables won’t dry out, they will steam in their own juices and you won’t need to add water so the flavours will stand out more.
- As you wait for your water to come to a boil, prepare your vegetables. Wash your cabbage in salted water, remove any dead outer layers. Cut your cabbage down the middle then into thin long pieces. Juliene your carrots, green and red bell peppers then chop your onion, garlic and scotch bonnet pepper.
- Once your water is now at a rolling boil, cover face up with your ceramic or metallic dish. Give it a few minutes for the steam from the water to heat the dish then add some butter or margarine to the dish and allow it to melt.
- Add to the melted butter your minced garlic, onion, scotch bonnet pepper and thyme and stir for a few minutes until they darken in colour, but do not burn.
- The next step is to add your bell peppers, and cabbage to the mix. Combine all ingredients well, then add a pinch of black pepper. Cover and allow to steam.
This should be ready in around 15 to 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Another popular way to have cabbage is with salted codfish (saltfish). This is definitely a main dish though, not a side and is usually had with a variety of ground foods like yam and dasheen, or fry dumplings, plantain or even crackers. Makes a great meal for any time, breakfast lunch or dinner.
Jamaican Cabbage And Saltfish
- ¼ lb saltfish
- 1 medium cabbage
- 1 onion
- Black pepper
- Scotch bonnet pepper
- Bell pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Because saltfish is heavily concentrated with salt, to lower the salt content, either soak in freshwater for a few hours or boil for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once you have removed some of the salt from the codfish, remove any extra scales, skin and bones then break into small pieces.
- Wash your cabbage in saltwater then cut into thin long strips. Cut all other ingredients into small pieces, that is your onion, tomato, garlic, bell pepper and scotch bonnet pepper.
- In a skillet add some vegetable oil, allow to get hot then add onion, tomatoes, garlic, and bell and scotch bonnet peppers to the pot. Stir until they soften a bit and darken in colour.
- The next step is to add your saltfish to the skillet and stir for a few minutes, just until the saltfish has been fully heated through.
- Finally, add your cabbage and a piece of butter then combine the ingredients well. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper to taste then cover and allow to finish cooking on low heat.
Once your cabbage has gotten nice and soft, you will know that your meal is ready.
Just so you know cabbage makes a great meal all around. And here's a tip, serve cabbage and saltfish with hard or soft shell mini tortillas for the perfect appetizer at any house party!
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Healthy Jamaican Food from Jamaican Cabbage Recipe
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Jamaican Cabbage Recipe
References & Sources For Jamaican Cabbage Recipe
- Jamaican Cabbage recipe, https://jamaicanfoodsandrecipes.com/amaican-steamed-cabbage/
Other Great Articles You Might Have Missed
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.