Are Drones Allowed In Jamaica?
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Are drones allowed in Jamaica?
by Sheree-Anita Shearer | Associate Writer
Are Drones Allowed in Jamaica? I’m not surprised about this question. Remotely piloted aircraft or drones have become increasingly popular, especially for recreational purposes. It is certainly a great way to capture beautiful vacation footage. But, is it even legal to fly your drone on vacation? Let’s find out.
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
Can you bring a drone to Jamaica?
The simple answer is yes. Drones are allowed in Jamaica for both recreational and professional purposes but there are some rules you must follow while operating your drone.
What is the maximum speed limit by law?
While I was unable to find anything giving a specific speed limit for drones, they can be anywhere between 20 mph to 100 mph. Just like any other motorized vehicle, you are expected to operate it at a speed you are comfortable with.
Do You Need A Drone License or Permit In Jamaica?
A Drone License is not a requirement for recreational flyers.
Can I Bring My Drone By Plane to Jamaica
Yes, drones can be brought into the country by plane.
Rules For Flying Drones In Jamaica
Drones should not be flown:
- above 400ft (122m) above ground level or beyond the maximum range of 1640 ft (500).
- from a distance beyond the visual line of sight of the person flying the aircraft ( computer-aided visuals or first-person view technology is not allowed)
- over private or public property without prior permission given by the dwellers of said property.
- within 16,500 ft (5,000 metres) of any aerodrome or rotorcraft designated landing
- at night or during low visibility conditions such as rainy or cloudy days
- with the intent to drop anything to the ground
- within or over restricted airspace
- without proper fail-safe mechanisms which will allow the drone to land in the event that communication between the aircraft and the pilot is lost.
- within or above 500 ft an assembled open-air gathering
- within or above 165 ft of any person except the pilot of the aircraft except when taking off or landing when the limit is no less than 100 ft.
- if it has not been verified to be able to complete the intended flight
Permits For Professional Operators
Professional operators must request a permit from the Jamaica Civil Aviation Authority before every flight, whether or not it is commercial or non-commercial. For approval to be given, the written request must include the purpose of the flight.
The flight must not be done until permission is granted, listing all the possible restrictions to the specific flight. The penalties for breaking these rules could be either imprisonment or fines.
So how do you know the difference between flying for recreational or professional purposes? Well, recreational flyers are flying drones or unmanned aircraft strictly for recreation.
Professional purposes both commercial and non-commercial, include all business-related activities
- Aerial photography
- Geometric surveys
- Power line inspections
- Crop observations
- Research and development
General Rules To Remember When Operating A Drone
Drones should be:
- flown within the operator’s visual line of sight
- flown at a safe distance clear of all visible obstacles, including but not limited to clouds, buildings, hills etc.
- flown safely and without recklessness
So there you have it! You are free to bring your drone with you on vacation in Jamaica, so take it and get the beautiful holiday pictures you deserve.
For more information on drone permits and regulations, contact the Jamaica Civil Aviation Authority by:
- Phone: +1 (876) 960-3948, 960-3965
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Jamaican FAQs from Are Drones Allowed In Jamaica
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Are Drones Allowed In Jamaica
References & Sources For Are Drones Allowed In Jamaica
- Operations of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, Jamaica Civil Aviation Authority, https://www.jcaa.gov.jm/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/FSN-GN-2015-01.pdf
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.