Car Rental In Jamaica
The Requirements, Hints, Tips & Cautions
Car Rental In Jamaica || by Kesha Stewart
Car Rental On Show In Jamaica
There are more car rentals companies in Jamaica so you would probably ever guess, so I'd recommend that you shop around to find what suits your budget and tastes.
I’m however, guessing that you may have a few questions. For example...
- How much do you charge?
- Do you offer long term and short term rentals?
- Are there any hidden costs?
- Is my vehicle insured?
Finding a reliable car rental company is imperative if you are planning to drive around the island on your own.
The companies in existence are a mix of local and international. Let me hasten to assure you that you are never really far away from a car rental company.
As a matter of fact there are companies which operate straight out of the airports enabling you to pick up your car then and there.
Some companies even facilitate online booking to make your travel hassle free. So potential as soon a s you hit the island you can be on wheels.
Here is a checklist of the basic requirements for renting a car in Jamaica:
- You must be between 23-75 years old. If you are say 21, the company may rent you but it will definitely cost you more.
- You must have earned your license for at least a year. Some companies ask that it be 3 years!
- A valid card that is acceptable by the dealer e.g. Visa. They will check to see that the expiry date is after the return date of the vehicle rented. Note that a hold may be placed on your Credit card in case there are incidentals.
- The car must be rented for no less than 24 hours.
- A coverage charge against damages and theft
Did You Know That?
- Jamaican rental cars once had specialized licenses plates were green? Yes. They even had RR marked to signal it is rented. This practice was discontinued after they were targeted by car thieves.
- You do not need an international license to be able to drive in Jamaica?
Your car will be priced based on:
- Size Affects Costs - medium to midsized cars are cheapest, next in line is the premium full sized car, then the SUV, while the most costly is the minivan.
- Brand matters Here- Toyota Corollas and Nissan Tidas are cheaper than Honda Civics or even a Toyota Camry.
- You pay for the features my friend. If you like accessories like leather seats for instance you will be charged more.
- More days more savings. After 3 days the rental companies usually offer a discount, 7 seven days or more equal greater savings.
- What’s included in my quote? Quotes generally include rental fee, insurance and value added tax. Find out what is included to prevent unpleasant surprises later on. Hint. Hint. Read the fine print before deciding on a plan for the insurance.
- I Need Special Features- If you require extras such as car seats or have a preference such as for manual transmission, you need to communicate with the dealer at least 3 days in advance of your pick up.
- Thankfully some credit card companies offer motor vehicle insurance coverage. Check with your provider to see if you qualify and how it works. If they offer it there will be no additional charges for you when you come to Jamaica.
Fast Facts about Car Rental In Jamaica
At last check these were the top five rental car dealers in Jamaica
- Aero International
- Avis Jamaica
- Fiesta Car Rental
- Island Car Rentals
- Apex Car Rentals
Helpful Hints for Safe Driving
- We drive on the left
- Fill up your tank when returning to avoid additional charges
- Treat the vehicle as you would your personal property
- Always wear a seatbelt and ensure all your passengers do the same
- Obey the road rules
- Be careful when asking directions and never pick up someone who claims to “know” where you are going, no matter how convincing he/she is.
- Make allowances for delays
- Look out for potholes
Now go and enjoy your Jamaican driving experience :-)
Pages Related To Car Rental In Jamaica
Return to Car Dealers In Jamaica from Car Rental In Jamaica
Return To My Island Jamaica Home from Car Rental In Jamaica
Recommended For You ...
Since you're here...
… I have a small favour to ask. I'm on a journey to amaze you with even more engaging content. I want to talk, listen and interact with you even more. I want to share the very best of my travelogues, my experience and time around the country with you.
Thanks to Patreon, I'm now finally able do more of what you'd want me to do.
For as little as $1, you can become a Patreon – and it only takes a minute. Click Here to become a Patreon. Thank you.
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on matching products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products that are related to your search. Be sure to check them out.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool, It works!
Or, simply click hereto ask me the question. I'll do my best to get back to you within 24 hours!
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Top Of Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adores his culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' - since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 8,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
His efforts have earned him featured positions in local publications, including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers, as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies and universities.
He invites you to join his friends list and stay updated on all the latest. You are also invited to join his exclusive patron community.