Getting Married In Jamaica? Have Questions?
Relax: We've Got The Answer For You.
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Are you planning on getting married in Jamaica?
Or perhaps considering it?
Rest assured that we have the best of all ingredients to make your special day magical.
Whether you are looking for pristine white sandy beaches and breathtaking sunsets, a tropical garden view setting, or a cascading waterfall, rest assured we have the perfect backdrop!
But still, you have some questions, and important ones too right?
After all, no two weddings are the same.
Well, you'll be happy to know that, thanks to my partner, friend and esteemed Jamaican wedding planner, Michelle, I have the answers for you!
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
Getting Married In Jamaica | Wedding At The Aqueduct
So based on popular demand, I've put together this one-of-a-kind, money and time saving Jamaican Marriage Q&A, just for you!
It consists of twenty (20) of the most frequently asked questions related to getting married in Jamaica, which, more than likely include your question as well.
Ready, let's go.
Jamaican Wedding Q&A
20 Key Questions About Getting Married In Jamaica
- How much is it to get married in Jamaica?
The cost to get married in Jamaica to include the documentation, Minister to officiate, acquisition of a licence which is required for you to get married, and the legal marriage certificate starts at approximately US$400.00.
This fee when added with venue, flowers, décor, cake etc., can see you spending US$1000 and up. However, most wedding packages are dependent on the couple’s requests & desires for their wedding.
- Are weddings legal in Jamaica?
Once all the legal documentations are satisfied, you must be married by a licensed marriage officer of Jamaica to be legally married, hence your marriage is legal.
See also: How To Become A Marriage Officer In Jamaica
- How long do you need to be in Jamaica before getting married?
It is recommended that you are in Jamaica at least 48 hours prior to your wedding. However, once all the legal documentations are satisfied, you can arrive in Jamaica and get married within the hour!
- Who can officiate a wedding in Jamaica?
Anyone who is a licensed marriage officer.
- Who pays for wedding in Jamaican culture?
Like in most cultures, the Bride’s parents pay for the wedding. However, more and more couples are choosing to pay for their
- Are you legally married if you marry in Jamaica?
Yes, you are legally married. Read more: Are Jamaican marriages legal in the U.S.A.?
- How do I get divorced if I got married in Jamaica?
One may get petition for divorce from any country they are living in. All that person needs to do is to present their marriage certificate to their lawyer & he/she will take is from there.
See How Can I File for a Divorce in Jamaica?
- What is the best month to get married in Jamaica?
We experience tropical weather all year long, so any month you choose is a good month to be married in Jamaica. No problem man :-) See: Jamaican Climate
- Do you need a blood test to get married in Jamaica?
Oh no, you do not!
- What is common law marriage in Jamaica?
This is where a couple is living together without being married.
- Is getting married in Jamaica legal in Canada?
Yes indeed! Marriages in Jamaica are recognized in Canada and internationally.
- Do I need a marriage license to get married in Jamaica?
Yes. And only a marriage licence from Jamaica is acceptable & recognized. Meaning, a marriage licence from another country cannot be used in Jamaica to be legally married in Jamaica.
- Is it cheaper to have a destination wedding?
Yes, all things been equal, it will cost you less to have a destination wedding in Jamaica.
- What do you wear to a destination wedding in Jamaica?
Wedding gowns and tuxedos can be worn comfortably in our tropical weather.
What you wear however, may be dependent on where you will be married. Light airy gowns or linen may be most suited for the beach, while a ballroom gown may be more suited for a banquet hall.
- What legal documents do you need to get married in Jamaica?
You need to have a notarized copy of your birth certificate, a form of identification (national ID, passport, driver’s licence) & a divorce decree if you are a divorcee.
Read more on the requirements for marriage in Jamaica here.
- What age can you get married in Jamaica?
You need to be 18 years old & older to get married in Jamaica
- How much is a marriage certificate in Jamaica?
If you are using wedding planner to get married in Jamaica, this fee is normally included in the entire documentation process, which cost approx. US$400.00.
- How do I get my marriage certificate from Jamaica?
Your wedding planner normally mail same to you sometime after your wedding. See also: How can i get another copy of my marriage certificate in Jamaica?
- How long does it take to get marriage certificate in Jamaica?
Conservatively, it takes approximately 1 ½ month after your wedding to get the marriage certificate.
- How can I find out if someone is married in Jamaica?
Read this article for our detailed response.
Getting Married In Jamaica | Wellesley And Omeil (2011)
Quite a mouthful eeh? Oh yes!
And by the way, these questions were answered by the recommended wedding planner and friend (yes, she did my wedding too), Michelle, from the Wedding Planner Plus
Be sure to reach out to her for all things weddings or wedding renewals in Jamaica.
Also, if you have an additional question, I'd love to hear. Please don't hesitate to send it to me here. I'll to happy to review and respond.
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Marriage In Jamaica from Getting Married In Jamaica
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Getting Married In Jamaican
References & Sources For Getting Married In Jamaica
- Best Jamaica Wedding Planning Specialist? Here's Our Recommendation,https://www.my-island-jamaica.com/jamaica_wedding_planning.html
- Who can sign the marriage license in a Christian ceremony in Jamaica?,https://www.my-island-jamaica.com/who-can-sign-the-marriage-license-in-a-christian-ceremony-in-jamaica.html
- how to apply for a marriage certificate in Jamaica, https://www.my-island-jamaica.com/how-to-apply-for-a-marriage-certificate-in-jamaica.html
- Jamaica Wedding Requirements | Saying I Do, https://www.visitjamaica.com/weddings-and-honeymoons/saying-i-do/requirements/
- Marriages - US Embassy in Jamaica, https://jm.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/marriages/
- Minister's (Marriage) Licence | Ministry of Justice - Government of Jamaica, https://moj.gov.jm/services-and-information/marriage-licence
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.