with all that's new at My-Island-Jamaica, Click Here to subscribe
for my updates and don't miss a thing!
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
Jamaican Passport Application
Step By Step Instructions
Watch! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 60,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
by Wellesley Gayle
Having a passport allows you to visit many cultures and countries of the world. In case you’ve been wondering if you are eligible for a Jamaican passport, here are the requirements and the step-by-step process.
Eligibility for a Jamaican Passport
First Things First, Provide Proof Of Jamaican Citizenship
Eligibility for a Jamaican Passport is based on proof of Jamaican Citizenship. ALL applicants are therefore required to submit one of the following documents as applicable:
- Birth Certificate
- Adoption Certificate
- Certificate of Registration
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Adoption Certificate
- Jamaican Citizenship Certificate
In addition to proof of Citizenship and the application form, applicants will need to bring the original copy of the following documents
- Government Issued Identification (Voter’s ID or Driver’s License)
- Proof of Name Change (If your name has been changed due to marriage, deed poll, divorce decree or court order you are required to bring documentation for whichever applies)
- 2 Passport Sized Photographs (one photograph must be certified by the same certifying official who certified the application)
Persons claiming Jamaican Citizenship by descent MUST have their claim established BEFORE submitting the application for a passport. The documents required in such a case are:
- Applicant's Birth Certificate
- Proof of Parent's Jamaican Citizenship
- Two certified passport photographs
The Citizenship Unit is located on the 1st Floor, Immigration Citizenship and Passport Division, 25 Constant Spring Road, Kingston 10.
Passport Sized Photographs
- Applicants are required to submit two (2) identical copies of a professionally produced photograph taken not more than six (6) months before the application.
- Among other things, do note that such photos should be taken in colour with a matte/dull finish, against a plain background.
- Applicants of light complexion should avoid wearing white or light coloured clothing and should have the photographs taken against a pastel shaded background.
- Applicants of dark complexion should wear coloured clothing and photographs should be taken against a white background.
- Applicants who have hair that is grey/white should have photographs taken against a pale blue or grey background.
- Most photographers and photo studios are fully aware of all the specifications though.
Passport Application For Minors
- A parent or legal guardian must complete the application for a child less than 18 years. Passport applications for minors require the same documents listed above except for government-issued Identification. It is required, however, that an ID for the parent or legal guardian applying be presented.
- Persons under 18 years of age, who are unmarried, require the written consent of a parent or legal guardian, except where such a person is a member of the Security Forces.
- In the event that neither parent nor legal guardian is available, contact should be made with the Customer Service Unit at the Kingston Office or the nearest consular representatives in the overseas missions.
Steps To Complete Your Jamaican Passport Application
1. Download and complete the application form
Downloading a copy from the PICA website is very easy.
2. Get Application Form and Photographs Certified.
This can be done by one of the following officials who is a citizen of Jamaica, who is not a member of the family of the applicant AND, has been personally acquainted with the applicant for a period of not less than 12 months:
- Member of Parliament
- High Court Judge
- Resident Magistrate
- Justice of the Peace
- Public Officer (SEG 1 and above)
- Consular Officer
- Commissioner of Oaths Notary Public
- Parish Councillor
- Bank Manager
- Credit Union Manager
- Clerk of Courts
- Marriage Officers
- Army Officer (Major & above)
- Dental Surgeon
- Medical Practitioner
- Police Officer (Gazetted Ranks)
- Passport Officer
- Veterinarian or a
- Principal (Primary, Secondary & Tertiary Educational Institutions)
Note carefully that the official who certifies the application is also required to certify the reverse side of one photograph of the applicant, with the following inscription above his/her signature:
"I certify that this is atrue photograph of ........................
(Insert applicant's name and note date of
3. Submit Your Application & Pay The Fees
The current fee is now JMD 6500, that's approximately USD 80. The fee for minors is JMD 4000 or USD 50.
For overseas applicants the following persons, who need not be citizens of Jamaica, may certify the application:
- Justice of the Peace
- Notary Public
- Medical Doctor
- Minister of Religion authorized to perform marriages
Overseas applicants may also contact the nearest Jamaican Embassy, High Commission or Consulate for other categories of persons who may certify applications and photographs.
Requirement To Appear In Person
- All first time applicants are required to be present at time of application.
- Minors under three years are exempt.
- Renewals do not require personal appearance. However, in some instances an authorized officer may require the appearance of the applicant.
- A MINOR over 3 years of age doing a renewal is required to appear in person.
The application process takes seven (7) working days for applications made through the Kingston office
and fourteen (14) working days, for applications made through the Montego Bay Office.
If collecting the passport in person, the applicant is expected to show the receipt received when the application was made.
If collecting on behalf of another person, a letter signed by the applicant and a copy of the applicant’s ID must accompany the receipt.
If you are a first-time applicant you can’t complete your application online. The online platform can only be used by adults who are renewing their passports. The online platform cannot be used by persons living overseas who are:
- Applying for the first time
- Adults who received their last passport as a minor
- Persons who have changed their name
- Persons who are replacing lost, stolen or damaged passports
In cases where a passport is lost, stolen or destroyed, a police report must be submitted. In the event that a lost passport subsequently comes into the possession of the holder, it must be returned to the passport office or the nearest Jamaican embassy, high commission or consulate overseas for necessary action.
That's it! Not too bad after all eeh? :-)
Thanks to the Immigration Citizenship and Passport Services Division of the Ministry of National Security for all this insightful information.
Contact Information For Jamaican Passports
For any additional information, including applications from overseas, countersigning passport, collecting passport and even tracking passport application, click here to visit PICA's passport information page
Or contact their offices at:
Passport Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA)
25C Constant Spring Road
Tel: +1 (876) 754-7422
Shop 9, Annex at Fairview, Alice Eldemire Drive
Bogue Estate, Montego Bay, St. James
Tel: +1 (876) 754-7422
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Getting to Jamaica from Jamaican Passport Application Process
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Jamaican Passport Application Process
References & Sources For Jamaican Passport Application Process
- Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency, https://www.pica.gov.jm/
Other Great Articles You Might Have Missed
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.