Toots And The Maytals Rocked Nevada County, California
Toots Live On Stage On Saturday || Photo: The Union
I've just learned that Toots And The Maytals is still at it! This time, rocking a World Music Festival in California!
Well done gentlemen!
According to The Union, veteran Jamaican music group, Toots And The Maytals, not only drew a large crowd, but 'took' Saturday Night at the 23rd annual California World Fest, held in Grass Valley, California, USA.
They were scheduled to perform for just over just over an hour and half.
The California World Fest, with it's tagline, 'Music connects us all', is a four day music festival held annually at the Nevada County Fairgrounds in Grass Valley, Nevada County, California.
It is held mid July each year and features top names in global music. Other notable Jamaican Reggae artistes that have performed there include:
- Ziggy Marley in 2010
- Third World in 2016 &
- Etana in 2017
This year's event, held between Thursday through Sunday, July 11 and 14, 2019, saw performances on eight (8) different stages.
You can read more about the event at https://worldfest.net
By the way, did you know that, not only did Toots And The Maytals won the Jamaica's National Popular Song Contest three (3) times?
Yep! The did so with the songs:
- "Bam Bam" in 1966,
- "Sweet and Dandy" in 1969
- and "Pomps & Pride" in 1972.
That first song, 'Bam Bam' made the very first winners of the competition as well!
You can see the full list of the Jamaica winning festival songs here
About Toots Hibbert
Frederick Nathaniel "Toots" Hibbert who was born on December 8, 1942 in May Pen Clarendon, is seen by many of the father of Reggae Music
, as he was the first to 'market' the word, "Reggae", naming the genre and introducing it to a global audience in his 1968 single, "Do the Reggay"
. You can learn more about Toots Hibbert here
But am I the only pleasantly surprised that these Jamaican music icons are still going strong? Even at now grandfather age - and looking good too?! Amazing!
What's your take? I welcome your comments here
Read more about Jamaica's reggae music here
- "Toots and the Maytals take Grass Valley: ‘Father of reggae’ draws crowd at California WorldFest", THE UNION, Retrieved Online at https://www.theunion.com/news/toots-and-the-maytals-take-grass-valley-father-of-reggae-draws-crowd-at-california-worldfest/ on July 15, 2019
- "California WorldFest Important Information", California World Fest, Retreived online at https://worldfest.net/faq/ on July 15, 2019
- "Toots and the Maytals", Wikipedia.org, Retrievied Online at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toots_and_the_Maytals on July 15, 2019