What is the Safest Resort in Jamaica?
by Deon Clarke |Associate Writer
What is the safest resort in Jamaica? Great question! If I was visiting Jamaica especially for the first time, I certainly would want to know as well.
But how do we really measure safety? We tend to measure safety by the amount of criminal activity that happens within a particular area or region. So, how does this apply to Jamaican resorts?
Though there is usually gang-related activities in the inner cities of Jamaica that fuel the bad reputation of a high crime rate, these gangs do not normally interfere with tourists.
So to be honest, the question of what is the safest resort in Jamaica is probably a tough one, as they all, particularly the most reputable ones, are all right up there at the top of the safety list!
Safest Resort Areas in Jamaica
Jamaican resorts are fairly safe for tourists. They not just provide great options for accommodation, they all have 24-hour security on site. And is so regardless of the resort area you are in.
- Ocho Rios – Ocho Rios is located in the north-eastern section of the island. It is considered to be one of the most popular destination in Jamaica for tourists. In addition to a multitude of great all inclusive resorts, the statistics for crime is very low here , making it one of the most family-friendly locations on the island.
- Port Antonio – Port Antonio is located on the northern coastline of the island and is home to a host of natural attractions including the Blue Lagoon, waterfalls, animal exhibitions and a whole lot more! Just like Ocho Rios, the crime statistics are significantly low and the bonus is that you might actually enjoy a more enhanced cultural experience here.
- Treasure Beach – Treasure Beach located on the island’s south coast, is another great location for tourists. There are not many resorts here but you will find poshed guesthouses and beautiful beach areas. The area is extremely family-friendly with its low crime rate and is a wonderful area to lay back and relax.
- Negril – Located in the northwestern coastal area of the island, Negril is filled with stunning white sand beaches, cultural attractions and beautiful sceneries. It is also a great place to visit with your family as it has very low crime rate. The resorts are just as great providing an amazing experience for all its visitors. There's good reason it is called, 'The Capital Of Casual'.
- Kingston – Kingston is Jamaica’s capital city and is located on the eastern end of the island. You will not run short of fascinating attractions to visit in this extremely busy city. However, as the busiest and most populace city in the island, be mindful of your surroundings as while some places are ok to visit, some areas should be avoided. This is not usually close to the resort area though, the hotels are relatively safe.
- Montego Bay – Montego Bay, located on the north-western coast of the island, is the most popular tourist destination in Jamaica. Montego Bay is known for its great nightlife, beautiful beaches and top ranked resorts. And while crime here is also concentrated in the deprived inner city communities and tourist crimes are a minute fraction, literally of crimes, we still suggest that you exercise good judgement.
And what are the safest resorts again... Its hard but I've done the next best thing, I've put together what can be considered the top 20 resorts in Jamaica!
We have already established that they are all pretty safe but these are a cut above the rest based on actual traveller reviews for reasons such as visitor experience, elegance, food
and drink, proximity and yes Safety and Security
. So, in no particular order, here goes:
Top 20 Resorts In Jamaica
- Hyatt Zilara Rose Hall – Montego Bay
- Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort – Montego Bay
- Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa – Lucea
- Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa – Montego Bay
- Zoetry Montego Bay – Montego Bay
- Half Moon – Montego Bay
- Round Hill Hotel & Villas – Lucea
- Sandals South Coast (previously Sandals Whitehouse) – Westmoreland
- The Caves, Negril – Negril
- Excellence, Oyster Bay – Falmouth
- Beaches Negril Resort & Spa - Negril
- Iberostar Grand Rose Hall - Montego Bay
- Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay – Montego Bay
- Breathless Resort – Montego Bay
- Jamaica Inn – Ocho Rios
- Moon Palace – Ocho Rios
- Azul Beach Resort – Negril
- Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa – Negril
- Jewel Grande Montego Bay Resort & Spa – Montego Bay
- Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club – Ocho Rios
Of course, we still recommend common sense and due diligence and so I've put together a list of top...
Safety Tips When Travelling to Jamaica
In Jamaica, crimes against tourists are generally low, however, the fact is that it still happens. Here are some tips to help you while you enjoy your stay here.
- It is important to be aware of your surroundings at all times
- Always trust your intuition.
- It would be a good idea to leave your most valuable possessions at home or in the safe that your hotel provides.
- Avoid deserted areas and beaches even if it is in the day.
- Try not to walk at nighttime or hitchhike.
- Be on the lookout for motorcycle riders who may grab your valuables.
- Avoid exploring the island by private cab as you could end up paying a hefty tab. Take a licensed taxi cab if you must.
- Avoid wandering away from your travel group.
- Avoid locations that are known to be of disrepute.
I hope this helps!
I also recommend you read Is Jamaica Safe? Will I Get Hurt During My Visit?