What's the procedure to split a piece of land and obtain title in Jamaica?
The matter of land surfaced again, I think I'm been drawn to my calling :-) Anyway today's question relates to getting a property split (or should I say, subdivided) in Jamaica.
We consulted with the relevant agency (NLA) as well as a real estate lawyer to provide the asker a response, but first, here is the question...
What is the procedure to have a piece of land divided and obtain the title in Jamaica?ANSWER: by Wellesley
There will be some assumptions here, OK?
The first assumption is that the land to be divided currently has a Registered Title.
- Taxes are currently been paid on the land, and
- All taxes are up to date
Note also that the current tile may endorse restrictions and encumbrances which would state if subdivision is allowed.
If subdivision is allowed, then to get the property divided, what is called a SPLINTER Title application
To do this, you'll need to..
- Get a surveyor to survey the property and do the subdivision plan
- Have the surveyor prepares the application, and
- Submit the plan to the local parish council (municipal corporation)
- This application must include...
- a certified copy of the title
- the sub divisional plan
- the surveyors identification report
- a certificate of valuation,
- construction drawings, and
- property tax certificate
- Pay the necessary fees
- The parish council will then forward the application to NEPA (National Environment and Planning Agency) for assessment along with a site inspection report and recommendation.
- Once the plan is approved by the parish council and conditions are met, you will now be required to apply for individual titles.
That's the procedure, according to the Titles Department Of the National Land Agency
here in Jamaica.
I hope this helps!
Of course, if you have any further questions, or need further recommendation, please don't hesitate to send me a note here
Thanks again for your question!
As usual, I welcome your feedback
P.S. Have another question? Submit it here for an answer
P.P. S. We've answered HUNDREDS of questions, click here
to get even more answers.
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on matching products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products that are related to your search. Be sure to check them out.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adores his culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' - since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 8,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
His efforts have earned him featured positions in local publications, including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers, as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies and universities.
He invites you to join his friends list and stay updated on all the latest. You are also invited to join his exclusive patron community.