2016 Ranking of Jamaica's Top High Schools
Here we are again my friends!
Thanks again to Educate Jamaica, we now have the very latest rankings
of the TOP HIGH SCHOOLS IN JAMAICA!
The 2017 report has been released! Click here
to read it.
This edition follows our previous publication
last year that created quite a lot of stir.
And so, I know what your next question is,
so let me answer before you asked :-)
How Were The Schools Ranked
According to Educate Jamaica, they looked at each school...
...and calculate what percentage of students they are turning out at the end of grade 11, with a minimum of 5 CSEC subjects (including Mathematics and/or English) and based on the percentage obtained, they are ranked.
Schools that are successful in turning out 80% or more achieving 5 subjects (Maths and/or English) meet the prestigious CSEC Secondary Ivy League.
They also added a group called the Aspiring Ivy Schools
highlighting those schools that are turning out 50% - 79% of grade 11 students, achieving 5 or more subjects, including Mathematics and/or English)
AND GUESS WHAT?
This time, I've nicely categorized them for you:
- The Ivy League - Top 10
- The Ivy League - Next 19, &
- The Aspiring Ivy League
OK, away with the talking, let me ease your anxiety :-),
READY? Drum roll for....
- All of the schools currently in the Top 10, with the exception of Wolmer's Boys High & Bishop Gibson High, were also in the Top 10 last year.
- The Top 3 last year remains the top 3 this year, Immaculate & Campion simply switched places for first and second, but Montego Bay High, the beacon of the west, remains solid at number 3!
- Outside of Campion, previously #1, and Westwood High, previously #6, all the other top 10, showed improved rankings.
- All the top 10 schools averaged an impressive 96.5% or above! The top 4, all averaged over 99%!
- The top mover in the top 10 was Bishop Gibson High, moving six places from #16 last year to #10 this year!
- Meadowbrook was the biggest improver in the Ivy League, jumping 10 places from #29 last year to #19 this year.
- Other steady climbers (more than 5 places) are Knox College, Mannings High and Meadowbrook High.
- Moving down 16 places though is Decarteret College. They dropped from #9 last year to #25 this year!
- Munro and Machester High would also be a bit disappointed too, as they slide 9 places each, from #13 and #18 last year, to #22 and #27 respectively, this year.
But according to Educate Jamaica, the following are quite significant:
- Approximately only 32% of secondary students are leaving grade 11 having achieved 5 or more subjects (including Mathematics and/or English) and this would be even lower if we used the MOE’s approach of 5 or more subjects (including Mathematics and English, not Mathematics and/or English ).
- 60% of the top 10 performing schools across the entire country are all-girls schools, with only one all-boys in the top 10 and a large portion of the male students across the country are underachieving.
- Statutory Education is still a privilege because you cannot gain full access to it without paying some type of money and those who cannot afford to pay are those who need it the most.
I hope this was insightful to you.
Know someone who might be interested in this ranking?
Here is the link to send to them (Just copy and send it):https://www.my-island-jamaica.com/2016-ranking-of-high-schools-in-jamaica.html
As usual, I welcome your comments
: Be sure to subscribe here
to get the new ranking using the 2016 CSEC results when they are released.
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on great Jamaican products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products from their inventory.
As an ardent customer and affiliate I earn a small commission from your purchase, at no extra cost to you. So thanks in advance.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
Ready To Vacation?
Please Book With Us...
Was the information helpful to you?
Here is a great way to support our effort.
All you need to do is book your vacation via the reputable HotelsCombined.com search box below.
It can be for travel to Jamaica or anywhere else on earth.
They combine the best deals from across all major booking sites and shows you only the very best!
Not quite ready to book? Start by searching (below) to get some amazing ideas now.