2016 Ranking of Jamaica's Top High Schools
Here we are again my friends!
Thanks again to Educate Jamaica, we now have the very latest rankings
of the TOP HIGH SCHOOLS IN JAMAICA!
The 2017 report has been released! Click here
to read it.
This edition follows our previous publication
last year that created quite a lot of stir.
And so, I know what your next question is,
so let me answer before you asked :-)
How Were The Schools Ranked
According to Educate Jamaica, they looked at each school...
...and calculate what percentage of students they are turning out at the end of grade 11, with a minimum of 5 CSEC subjects (including Mathematics and/or English) and based on the percentage obtained, they are ranked.
Schools that are successful in turning out 80% or more achieving 5 subjects (Maths and/or English) meet the prestigious CSEC Secondary Ivy League.
They also added a group called the Aspiring Ivy Schools
highlighting those schools that are turning out 50% - 79% of grade 11 students, achieving 5 or more subjects, including Mathematics and/or English)
AND GUESS WHAT?
This time, I've nicely categorized them for you:
- The Ivy League - Top 10
- The Ivy League - Next 19, &
- The Aspiring Ivy League
OK, away with the talking, let me ease your anxiety :-),
READY? Drum roll for....
- All of the schools currently in the Top 10, with the exception of Wolmer's Boys High & Bishop Gibson High, were also in the Top 10 last year.
- The Top 3 last year remains the top 3 this year, Immaculate & Campion simply switched places for first and second, but Montego Bay High, the beacon of the west, remains solid at number 3!
- Outside of Campion, previously #1, and Westwood High, previously #6, all the other top 10, showed improved rankings.
- All the top 10 schools averaged an impressive 96.5% or above! The top 4, all averaged over 99%!
- The top mover in the top 10 was Bishop Gibson High, moving six places from #16 last year to #10 this year!
- Meadowbrook was the biggest improver in the Ivy League, jumping 10 places from #29 last year to #19 this year.
- Other steady climbers (more than 5 places) are Knox College, Mannings High and Meadowbrook High.
- Moving down 16 places though is Decarteret College. They dropped from #9 last year to #25 this year!
- Munro and Machester High would also be a bit disappointed too, as they slide 9 places each, from #13 and #18 last year, to #22 and #27 respectively, this year.
But according to Educate Jamaica, the following are quite significant:
- Approximately only 32% of secondary students are leaving grade 11 having achieved 5 or more subjects (including Mathematics and/or English) and this would be even lower if we used the MOE’s approach of 5 or more subjects (including Mathematics and English, not Mathematics and/or English ).
- 60% of the top 10 performing schools across the entire country are all-girls schools, with only one all-boys in the top 10 and a large portion of the male students across the country are underachieving.
- Statutory Education is still a privilege because you cannot gain full access to it without paying some type of money and those who cannot afford to pay are those who need it the most.
I hope this was insightful to you.
Know someone who might be interested in this ranking?
Here is the link to send to them (Just copy and send it):https://www.my-island-jamaica.com/2016-ranking-of-high-schools-in-jamaica.html
As usual, I welcome your comments
: Be sure to subscribe here
to get the new ranking using the 2016 CSEC results when they are released.
Recommended For You ...
Since you're here...
… I have a small favour to ask. I'm on a journey to amaze you with even more engaging content. I want to talk, listen and interact with you even more. I want to share the very best of my travelogues, my experience and time around the country with you.
Thanks to Patreon, I'm now finally able do more of what you'd want me to do.
For as little as $1, you can become a Patreon – and it only takes a minute. Click Here to become a Patreon. Thank you.
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on matching products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products that are related to your search. Be sure to check them out.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool, It works!
Or, simply click hereto ask me the question. I'll do my best to get back to you within 24 hours!
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Top Of Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adores his culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' - since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 8,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
His efforts have earned him featured positions in local publications, including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers, as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies and universities.
He invites you to join his friends list and stay updated on all the latest. You are also invited to join his exclusive patron community.