with all that's new at My-Island-Jamaica, Click Here to subscribe
for my updates and don't miss a thing!
8 Special Christmas Television Programmes In Jamaica
by Sheree-Anita Shearer | Associate Writer
Christmas is important to us for many reasons. We spend lots of time, money and effort to ensure we celebrate Christmas properly. Everything around us must put us in the right frame of mind to enjoy the festive season, from the music we listen to, the clothes we wear, the decorations and of course the things we watch. There are a few programmes that let you know that we are in fact in the Christmas season and we look forward to them every year.
- JN Group Greetings Across The World - There is no greater sign of a Jamaican Christmas than the tune of Greetings, Greetings, Greetings across the wooooorld! The JN Group’s remittance agency allows those sending money back home from America, Canada and the United Kingdom to record a video wishing their loved ones back home a Merry Christmas. All the recordings are then aired on particular days on the TV. Everyone, even those who haven’t received any money from abroad will still watch just to enjoy the programme or to see if a friend remembered to big them up on TV. They will usually call to let you know so you can watch out for it to be aired. Yes, it is a very big deal.
- Christmas Specials on the Morning Shows - The weeks leading up to Christmas, morning shows will begin to decorate and have Christmas related topics in the mornings. On Christmas Day, however, they will have a special Christmas morning programme which showcases the various dishes we prepare for Christmas and everything related to a Jamaican Christmas season. There might even be a special Joncunu performance!
- Charity Specials - Corporate Jamaica strongly believes in giving back, especially if it means brightening someone’s Christmas. Competition or surprise winners are usually announced during this time and it is often televised. It is always a joy to see the winners all excited about their gifts, especially when they were really in need of assistance.
- Carolling - A group from various companies, clubs, associations and church groups will prepare and perform a Christmas carol for a special Christmas carolling programme on TV. This is usually an hour-long special filled with beautiful singing. Sometimes local artistes join in the festivities as well and it is always a great fun time.
- Christmas Movies/Cartoons - The television stations usually show a lot of Christmas Movies and Cartoons during this time. The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, Home Alone and every other movie related to the season will be played at least until the new year. It doesn’t even matter how many times we have seen them already or how much they are repeated we will watch them and laugh just as loud as we did the first time.
- Special Cooking Episodes - For those among us who don’t have our parents to guide us through the many dishes to prepare for Christmas Dinner, you need not worry. There will be Christmas recipes complete with a visual presentation of what it should look like on TV, just clear your schedule and tune in!
- Christmas Message From the Prime Minister - The Prime Minister’s Christmas Message is usually aired the morning of Christmas Day. He or She will give a short recap of the year and of what lies ahead in the New Year and wish the citizens a Happy Holidays.
- Documentaries - There are usually documentaries explaining the birth of Jesus and what would have likely happened on that day. Most times, the host or narrator of the programmes visits Bethlehem and gives the audience a glance into what Jesus’ birth would have been like. They can be a little long but it is always an interesting watch.
If you’re ever in Jamaica during Christmas, be sure to check out these programmes!
I also recommend you read, 10 Classic Jamaican Christmas Songs
SSEditor's NotePost your comments here
. We love hearing what you have to say!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Have_Your_Say.
Sharing IS Caring... Its now YOUR turn to...
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Talk To Me
Was the information helpful? Something needs changing? I welcome your feedback here.
Recommended For You ...
Other Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
Back To The Top Of This Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adore its culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 9,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
efforts have earned this site featured positions in local publications,
including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers,
as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies
and universities. Read more about him here.
He invites you to subscribe to this site to stay updated on all the latest and check out his unique Jamaican products on his Etsy store.
If you are on social media, here are the links to follow his latest posts
You are also invited to join his exclusive JAMHearts community where like-minded Jamaican enthusiasts discuss all things Jamaican.