Subscribe for all my updates and don't miss a thing! Sign me up!

How Can I Get My Divorce Papers in Jamaica?

RESPONSE: by Sheree-Anita Shearer

My former wife refuses to give me the divorce paper and I need to get married. Can I go to the Supreme court in Kingston and get a copy? How do I go about doing this?

Hi Reader,

Yes, your divorce papers can be obtained at the Supreme Court as long as the divorce petition was in fact filed by either of you. These documents can be found in the Supreme Court Registry, in the Supreme Court Building, King Street, Kingston.

Do You Have to Pay for a certified copy of the decree absolute?

There are costs attached to receiving the certificate of divorce, for them to be searched for and if found pay for a certified copy of the decree absolute.

Can I ask someone to go to the Supreme Court on my behalf?

You are permitted to have someone visit the offices of the Supreme Court on your behalf if you are unable to go yourself.

If you do send a representative, it is recommended that you retain the services of a lawyer rather than an old friend. A lawyer would know what to expect should any issues arise. Payment of the various fees is mandatory before your representative can send the certified copy of the decree absolute to you via courier.

If you do decide to retain a lawyer, please bear in mind the additional costs associated with using their services.

You can also write to the Registrar of the Supreme Court for assistance with your search and the issuance of a certified copy of the decree absolute. Be sure to ask for the specific costs associated with searching, applying for, and receiving the document and through what medium should the services be paid for.

What documents do you need to bring to the Supreme Court?

Having a copy of the divorce petition and other supporting documents will make it easier to find your documents at the Supreme Court Registry. The Claim Number on the very first page of the document can be used to locate the documents easily as it would be identical to the number on your wifeโ€™s file if she was the one who filed for divorce.

This number along with the correct spelling of her name (the way it is spelled on your marriage certificate), should be carried or sent depending on whether you are going through the process on your own or using the services of a lawyer. The claim number makes it easier to locate as it identifies the year it was filed and the folio as no other petitioner would have the number attached to their file.

What should you do if you donโ€™t know the claim number?

If you donโ€™t know the claim number, you can still receive a copy of the documents. The search will just be a little bit longer as they will depend solely on both names and the time period you believe she filed for divorce. If you have an accurate date as to when this was done it would help.

When the files are located, then you can pay for a certified copy of the decree absolute which would indicate that your status has now changed from a married man to a divorcee.

The search in the Supreme Court Registry is the only way that you can find out and be sure whether your wife did indeed petition for and obtain a decree absolute that terminated your marriage.

Should you set a date before going to the Supreme Court?

I am unsure whether or not you need to set a date at the Supreme Court. I do know there are particular days when certain services are done though for the workers to be better able to help everyone. You could give them a call to check and set an appointment should it be necessary.

The phone number for the Supreme Court is:
Kingston: +1 876-633-7201 | +1 876-922-8300-7
Montego Bay: +1 876-971-6923 | +1 876-971-9362

You can also visit their website for more information:

Should you need further clarification, you can always speak with a representative at the Supreme Court in Kingston or retain the services of a lawyer. Although I do hope the information provided was substantial. All the best going forward.

I also, recommend you read, How Can I File for a Divorce in Jamaica?.


  • How Can I File for a Divorce in Jamaica?, My-Island-Jamaica,
  • Why is divorce in Jamaica so expensive and income so cheap?, My-Island-Jamaica,
  • The search for divorce papers, Jamaica Observer,

Editor's Note
We would love to hear what you have to say. Share your comments here!.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Have_Your_Say.

Back To The Top Of This Page

New! Get My Latest Book๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿฟ


You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!

JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!

I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!

See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!


My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.


Read More ...

New! Experience The REAL Jamaica!
Book Your Private Tour here and experience Jamaica the way we (locals) do!

P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for? 
Still need help?

Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!

Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.

Back To The Top Of This Page

Like My Site? Please Click Here To Share It With Your Friends

Home   |   JOIN US   |   Site Search   |   Have Your Say   |   Archives   |   Old Archives   |   Contact   |   Disclaimer   |   TIP ME!   |   Link To Us

Do like I did! Share your passion
(about your city, hobby or experience) and make a living from it. Click Here to see how

By Wellesley Gayle   |   Copyright ยฉ 2007-2023   |   All rights Reserved.   |   Privacy Policy