with all that's new at My-Island-Jamaica, Click Here to subscribe
for my updates and don't miss a thing!
How many tourists visit Jamaica each year?
You've heard the statistics bantered about right? I mean the ones about how many tourist visit Jamaica each year.
And the numbers seems to change depending on who is asked, who is reporting, and for what purpose.
And so, I was really happy when I got this question - I have the opportunity to provide the correct information.
I consulted with the agency responsible for tracking this information, The Jamaica Tourist Board, and is now presenting you the facts.
But just before, this was the question...
Exactly how many persons travelled to Jamaica last year? And how may tourist visit Jamaica each year? ANSWER: by Wellesley
A wonderful question!
And thanks to a representative from the Jamaica Tourist Board, I was provided this information, going back as far as 2003!
Not exactly as I wanted it, but I've dissected it and put it back together for you.
By the way, did you know that the last five years (to 2018) accounted record number of visitors?
Chart Showing Jamaica Tourist Arrival Since 2003
But even better, below is the detail, broken down by year.
- In 2003, the total number of visitors to the island was 2,483,696. Of that number 1,350,285 were StopOver arrivals and 1,133,411 representing Cruise passengers.
- In 2004, the total number of visitors to the island was 2,517,296. Of that number 1,414,786 were StopOver arrivals and 1,102,510 representing Cruise passengers.
- In 2005, the total number of visitors to the island was 2,615,913. Of that number 1,478,663 were StopOver arrivals and 1,137,250 representing Cruise passengers.
- In 2006, the total number of visitors to the island was 3,016,898. Of that number 1,678,905 were StopOver arrivals and 1,337,993 representing Cruise passengers.
- In 2007, the total number of visitors to the island was 2,881,518. Of that number 1,700,785 were StopOver arrivals and 1,180,733 representing Cruise passengers.
- In 2008, the total number of visitors to the island was 2,860,544. Of that number 1,767,271 were StopOver arrivals and 1,093,273 representing Cruise passengers.
- In 2009, the total number of visitors to the island was 2,754,331. Of that number 1,831,097 were StopOver arrivals and 923,234 representing Cruise passengers.
- In 2010, the total number of visitors to the island was 2,831,654. Of that number 1,921,678 were StopOver arrivals and 909,976 representing Cruise passengers.
- In 2011, the total number of visitors to the island was 3,078,764. Of that number 1,951,752 were StopOver arrivals and 1,127,012 representing Cruise passengers.
- In 2012, the total number of visitors to the island was 3,306,632. Of that number 1,986,085 were StopOver arrivals and 1,320,547 representing Cruise passengers.
- In 2013, the total number of visitors to the island was 3,274,102. Of that number 2,008,409 were StopOver arrivals and 1,265,693 representing Cruise passengers.
- In 2014, the total number of visitors to the island was 3,504,228. Of that number 2,080,181 were StopOver arrivals and 1,424,047 representing Cruise passengers.
- In 2015, the total number of visitors to the island was 3,692,384. Of that number 2,123,042 were StopOver arrivals and 1,569,342 representing Cruise passengers.
- In 2016, the total number of visitors to the island was 3,837,835. Of that number 2,181,684 were StopOver arrivals and 1,656,151 representing Cruise passengers.
- In 2017, the total number of visitors to the island was 4,276,189. Of that number 2,352,915 were StopOver arrivals and 1,923,274 representing Cruise passengers,
- and provisional data for 2018 shows that the total number of visitors to the island was 4,318,600. Of that number 2,472,727 were StopOver arrivals and 1,845,873 representing Cruise passengers.
I'm including the table of information below for your benefit as well.
Note that it shows the percentage increase per year.
|Jamaica Visitor Arrivals 2003-2018|
|Year|| StopOver || Cruise || Total || %|
Increase Over Prior Year
|2003||1,350,285||1,133,411|| 2,483,696 || |
|2004||1,414,786||1,102,510|| 2,517,296 ||1.35%|
|2005||1,478,663||1,137,250|| 2,615,913 ||3.92%|
|2006||1,678,905||1,337,993|| 3,016,898 ||15.33%|
|2007||1,700,785||1,180,733|| 2,881,518 ||-4.49%|
|2008||1,767,271||1,093,273|| 2,860,544 ||-0.73%|
|2009||1,831,097||923,234|| 2,754,331 ||-3.71%|
|2010||1,921,678||909,976|| 2,831,654 ||2.81%|
|2011||1,951,752||1,127,012|| 3,078,764 ||8.73%|
|2012||1,986,085||1,320,547|| 3,306,632 ||7.40%|
|2013||2,008,409||1,265,693|| 3,274,102 ||-0.98%|
|2014||2,080,181||1,424,047|| 3,504,228 ||7.03%|
|2015||2,123,042||1,569,342|| 3,692,384 ||5.37%|
|2016||2,181,684||1,656,151|| 3,837,835 ||3.94%|
|2017||2,352,915||1,923,274|| 4,276,189 ||11.42%|
|2018|| 2,472,727 || 1,845,873 || 4,318,600 ||0.99%|
Tourist Arrival Information 2016-2018 by month
You may also be interested in this table, showing the arrival information for the last three years, by month.
A few KEY points for December 2018
- Stopover arrivals up 3.7%
- The US Market was up 7.5%
- The Canada market was down 1.5%
- Europe was up 2.8%, and
- Cruise Passenger up by 8.8%
By the way, some of our visitors have been sharing their stories!You can read some of them here.
And if you've vacationed here as well, please share the experience with us!
I hope this helps!
As usual, I welcome your feedback here.
Keep in touch.
P.S. Have another question? Submit it here for an answer.
P.P. S. By the way, I also recommended that you consider utilizing the free search tool that allows you to look for something specific on this website.
P.P.S We've answered HUNDREDS of questions, click here and here to get even more answers.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to JamaicaQuestions.
Sharing IS Caring... Its now YOUR turn to...
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, My Island Jamaica Digest here.
Back To The Top Of This Page
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
New! Talk To Me
Was the information helpful? Something needs changing? I welcome your feedback here.
Recommended For You ...
Other Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
Back To The Top Of This Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adore its culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 9,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
efforts have earned this site featured positions in local publications,
including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers,
as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies
and universities. Read more about him here.
He invites you to subscribe to this site to stay updated on all the latest and check out his unique Jamaican products on his Etsy store.
If you are on social media, here are the links to follow his latest posts
You are also invited to join his exclusive JAMHearts community where like-minded Jamaican enthusiasts discuss all things Jamaican.