How to be a justice of the peace in Jamaica
by Isheba Cornwall, Associate Writer
A Justice of the Peace is a Jamaican citizen who resides in Jamaica whom has volunteered to promote and protect the rights of individuals in their community. A JP must also be between the ages of 25-70 and be of indubitable integrity.
But can anyone who posess these qualities become a Justice of the Peace? Absolutely not!
In addition to the age and citizenship, a candidate for Justice of the Peace in Jamaica...
- Must speak fluent English
- Must have given good service to his/her community and to Jamaica overall, and has the intention of continuing to offer their services to Jamaica.
- He or she must have the ability to communicate with citizens of all types in his/her community.
Note however that because the position of Justice of the Peace is voluntary, a JP should not charge for his/her services nor can he/she accept gifts.
Functions of a Justice of the Peace
With great power comes great responsibilities- as the famous quote states.
Therefore, the Justice of the Peace is expected to:
- Serve in the courts of the petty session
- Visit jails to inspect the conditions
- Offer advice or counsel individuals in their community
Be on panels for licensing
- Attend the Children’s Courts and the Drug Court.
And, having known the individual in need of their services a Justice of the Peace can also:
- Consider various applications
- Explain and sign documents
- Give recommendations for schools and jobs and
- Consider applications for bail etc.
So back to your question...
How to be a justice of the peace in Jamaica
The Justice Of The Peace title comes with a lot of responsibilities and so great care is taken by designated officers to ensure that candidates are able to fulfill his/her duties.
In Jamaica the Minister of Justice, who is responsible for maintaining accurate records on each appointed Justice of the Peace, is also responsible for all the processes to become a Justice of the Peace(JP).
- To become a JP in Jamaica, you first need to be recommended by a citizen, club, organization or business to the Custos of the parish in which you reside.
- Having received the recommendation, the Custos will then make enquirers about your background - this is to ensure that you are suitable for the job.
- The Advisory Committee, which is made of the Custos of the parish, the Parish judge and the Superintendent of Police, then reviews the application or recommendation, deliberates and then select you - if they feel that you are qualified. Keep in mind that the JPs are actually chosen under the Governor General’s discretion.
- The Custos then submits your name to the Minister of Justice, after which, you will be trained prior to appointment.
- An oath is then taken at appointment and the official seal, authorizing the discharge of the function of the office is given to you, now a JP (Justice Of the Peace).
That's really it.
So if are you of unquestionable character, love your country, go for it. A Justice of the Peace is an esteemed position but above that, you will be giving back to Jamaica land we love in a tangible way.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to HowTo Jamaica.
Recommended For You ...
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on matching products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products that are related to your search. Be sure to check them out.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool, It works!
Or, simply click here to ask me the question. I'll do my best to get back to you within 24 hours!
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Top Of Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adores his culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' - since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 8,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
His efforts have earned him featured positions in local publications, including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers, as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies and universities.
He invites you to join his friends list and stay updated on all the latest. You are also invited to join his exclusive patron community.