Subscribe for all my updates and don't miss a thing! Sign me up!

How To Get My Name On My Husband‘s House Title In Jamaica

by Winsome

How can I get my name on my husband house title, you see we married together, have one child married for 33 years. I will be visiting Jamaica God spare life next year and would like to go ahead and have my name seal to his title thank you.

RESPONSE: by Deon Clarke

Hi Winsome,

Thank you for stopping by and for your question.

Before I go any further, let me pause right here to say a big “congratulations” to you and your husband on achieving 33 years of marriage! That’s no simple task, that’s a major milestone especially in these days. I wish for you both, continued success and happiness. Now to your question:

How can I get my name on my husband house title?

I must say to you that it is always best to retain the services of an attorney regarding these matters as they can become very complicated. You also did not indicate the circumstances under which you are now seeking to have your name added to your husband’s house title.

I would first suggest that when you get to Jamaica, you contact the Registry of Titles and National Land Agency for a title search and to make sure that all is well with the title.

Then, as I mentioned before, seek the services of an attorney-at-law who would be better able to assist you with the process. If not, at least get some amount of directive from the relevant authorities at the relevant agencies on how to proceed.

However, as long as there is nothing wrong with the existing title and ownership, you should be good good to go! All that is required would be a completed transfer form which would need to have all the relevant information, including your name as the name to be added.

You must note as well that there will be some associated fees as well as transfer tax that would need to be paid. The transfer tax amount would be dependent on the value of the property but is usually around 5 percent of the property value.

Additionally, to have this procedure done, you should be aware that all property taxes for the property in question must be current or up to date.

This process would obviously need the input of your husband as well as he would also have to sign on the transfer form. You also did not indicate if he would be travelling with you to Jamaica.

Being married for so long, there is certainly a need to protect your interest and that of your son in this property, even though by law, you would have been automatically entitled to half of the property as per the Property (Rights of Spouses) Act.

I would suggest as well that you treat this situation as one of urgency. Obviously a considerable amount of time has passed and with passage of time, these issues can get complicated especially in the event of death.

Providing that there are no issues as far as the title is concerned, and all the relevant documents and information have been provided, you shouldn’t have much of a challenge in accomplishing this task. The normal processing times for these requests can range from two to four months.

I certainly hope that the information provided will be helpful to you as you try to get this matter resolved. All the best !

Thanks again for your question Winsome!

I also recommend you read How to split a piece of land in Jamaica.




Editor's Note
And you? What's on your mind? Submit your question here! With well over 2000 questions already answered, chances are we assist :-)

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to JamaicaQuestions.

Back To The Top Of This Page

New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿


You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!

JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!

I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!

See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!


My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.


Read More ...

New! Experience The REAL Jamaica!
Book Your Private Tour here and experience Jamaica the way we (locals) do!

P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for? 
Still need help?

Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!

Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.

Back To The Top Of This Page

Like My Site? Please Click Here To Share It With Your Friends

Home   |   JOIN US   |   Site Search   |   Have Your Say   |   Archives   |   Old Archives   |   Contact   |   Disclaimer   |   TIP ME!   |   Link To Us

Do like I did! Share your passion
(about your city, hobby or experience) and make a living from it. Click Here to see how

By Wellesley Gayle   |   Copyright © 2007-2024   |   All rights Reserved.   |   Privacy Policy