with all that's new at My-Island-Jamaica, Click Here to subscribe
for my updates and don't miss a thing!
How to Join National Housing Trust in Jamaica?
How to Join National Housing Trust in Jamaica? || By Kadian Clarke, Associate Writer
Living overseas and planning to join the National Housing Trust in Jamaica?
In my opinion it is the cheapest route to home ownership in Jamaica right now and so I highly recommend them.
Getting started is fairly simple...
- You first need to register with the National Housing Trust.
Registration is pretty much completing the Voluntary Contributors application form. You can find a copy of the form here.
- Afterwards, you'll need to obtain a Tax Payer Registration Number (TRN) from the Tax Registration Center, if you didn't already have one. It will be required upon registering.
- You will be required to attend an interview with the NHT. From there additional information and direction will be given.
In the event you are unable to make it to the interview, a signed letter of authorization for your representative stamped and noted by the Notary Public is to be submitted.
Note that the following documents are also required to join the National Housing Trust:
1. Your Tax Registration Number (TRN)
2. Your National Insurance Card (NIS)
3. A valid National Identification, Drivers License or Passport
4. Initial monthly payment which is 3% of your salary
5. Proof of overseas residence ( passport for country of residence, indefinite card or permanent resident card) and;
6. Birth Certificate showing proof of age
They understand that not everyone will be able to provide original documentation, so if you happen to have some copied ones, please ensure that they are dated and stamped by a notary public.
What if you are representing another person?
In such a case, a letter of authorization must also be presented. It must be stamped, dated and signed by a notary public as well.
Other Key Notes about Joining The NHT
- One key benefit of becoming a member of the trust is that it enables you to apply for a loan to purchase or build a house in the future at great interest rates. The loan, by the ay, is also insured.
- If you are just starting to contribute to the trust, unfortunately you will have a 2 year wait period upon registration before you are eligible for a loan.
- However, if you have contributed before and you wish to continue contributing, the waiting time to process the loan is just one year.
- Please be advised also that you must make your monthly contributions on time for 12 consecutive months before you can apply for a loan.
- Payments are required before the 14th day of every month, and you can make payment by way of international money order or standing order.
Your agent can also make payments on your behalf.
- If you want to go ahead and pay for the first year in full, by all means you can do so but it is not a requirement.
- Foreigners with a valid Jamaican work permit are not recognized as overseas voluntary contributors but more like locals.
For more and detailed information, you may contact the National Housing Trust using the information below.
Main Phone Line:1-876-929-6500-9
Toll Free Numbers:
UK: +44 203 514 8816
You may also contact them via..
I hope this helped. I welcome your feedback here
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to JamaicaQuestions.
Sharing IS Caring... Its now YOUR turn to...
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, My Island Jamaica Digest here.
Back To The Top Of This Page
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
New! Talk To Me
Was the information helpful? Something needs changing? I welcome your feedback here.
Recommended For You ...
Other Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
Back To The Top Of This Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adore its culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 9,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
efforts have earned this site featured positions in local publications,
including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers,
as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies
and universities. Read more about him here.
He invites you to subscribe to this site to stay updated on all the latest and check out his unique Jamaican products on his Etsy store.
If you are on social media, here are the links to follow his latest posts
You are also invited to join his exclusive JAMHearts community where like-minded Jamaican enthusiasts discuss all things Jamaican.