How to Pay a Traffic Ticket in Jamaica
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
How to Pay a Traffic Ticket in Jamaica.
By Venesha Johnson | Associate Writer
On February 1, 2023, the Road Traffic Act of 2018 and the Road Traffic Regulations of 2022 went into effect. The Road Traffic Act regulates matters such as road signs, speed limits, and traffic laws, as well as the construction and equipment of motor vehicles. It also governs the licensing of driving schools and the certification of driving instructors.
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
With the new road traffic act fully in place, there are many questions surrounding how to pay a traffic ticket in Jamaica and the various fines associated with the different traffic violations. Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.
How to pay for a traffic ticket in Jamaica?
You can pay for traffic tickets in Jamaica in several ways, by making the payment online, going to the tax office or using any other bill payment outlets such as Paymaster.
How do I pay an outstanding traffic ticket online in Jamaica?
To make paying fines simpler, the Transport Authority of Jamaica (TASD) provides an online payment portal. Accessing the site allows drivers to settle unpaid traffic fines without going to court. For the ticket details to be displayed, users of the portal must enter both their driver's license number and the ticket number. Online traffic ticket payment is dependable, convenient, and secure. To access the portal, simply go to taxoexpress.com/ticket
Another option is by making the payment via the Tax Administration Jamaica (TAJ) website, www.jamaicatax.gov.jm. Here are the basic steps:
- visit the website, create an account and login.
- select the Pay Traffic Ticket tab.
- enter your traffic ticket number and your driver's license number then select show amount.
- once the information has been populated select the "add to today's total" tab.
- review your ticket information then enter your credit or debit card information to make the payment.
- once the payment has been made you can email or print your receipt then logout.
How long do I have to pay for a traffic ticket in Jamaica?
A traffic ticket is uploaded to the Traffic Ticket Management System immediately after being issued. The offender has 21 days to settle the fine at the tax office, online or through any other payment method.
What happens if you don't pay a traffic ticket in Jamaica?
The ticket now becomes a summons, and the individual must appear in court on the date listed on the ticket if it is not paid within the allotted time. It is essential to remember that the offender can enter a guilty plea in response to this summons or contest the ticket, in which case a trial date will be scheduled. If the defendant enters a guilty plea, the judge will assess a fee, which must be paid to the court before the case is concluded.
How long before an unpaid ticket becomes a warrant in Jamaica?
Once an offender misses his court date a warrant for his or her arrest should be made. However, it is not uncommon for offenders to go on without a warrant for a long period of time, this is mostly because the court system tends to be overrun with traffic ticket airings and warrants, making it difficult to issue warrants promptly. This will soon no longer be a problem as a new electronic warrant system will be in put place shortly.
How much is a speeding ticket in Jamaica?
Here are the different speeding tickets in Jamaica:
- Exceeding Speed Limit In Construction Zone; 33-49 Kilometers Per Hour $20,000
- Exceeding Speed Limit In Construction Zone;16-32 Kilometers Per Hour $12,000
- Exceeding Speed Limit In Construction Zone;50 Or More Kilometers Per Hour $30,000
- Exceeding Speed Limit In School Safety Zone; 16 To 32 Kilometers Per Hour $12,000
- Exceeding Speed Limit In School Safety Zone; 33 To 49 Kilometers Per Hour $20,000
- Exceeding Speed Limit In School Safety Zone; 50 or More Kilometers Per Hour $30,000
- Exceeding Speed Limit; 16-32 Kilometers Per Hour $6,000
- Exceeding Speed Limit; 33-49 Kilometers Per Hour $10,000
- Exceeding Speed Limit; 50 Or More Kilometers Per Hour $15,000
What is the fine for driving without insurance in Jamaica?
There is a $20,000 fee for anyone driving an uninsured vehicle and a $30,000 fine for operating a vehicle outside of the terms of the insurance policy.
You can find a full breakdown of all the road code offences and fines by visiting this site.
Whether you are a visitor or local, with the new digitalized system there is no escaping a traffic ticket. However, a great way to navigate that is by understanding what are the main dos and don’ts of driving in Jamaica. You can get some insightful tips right here.
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Driving in Jamaica from How to Pay a Traffic Ticket in Jamaica
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from How to Pay a Traffic Ticket in Jamaica
References & Sources For How to Pay a Traffic Ticket in Jamaica
- B. (2022, December 9). How To Pay Outstanding Traffic Tickets Online In Jamaica | Wah Deh Gwaan. Wah Deh Gwaan. https://wahdehgwaan.com/how-to-pay-traffic-ticket-online-in-jamaica/
- The New Road Traffic Regulations – Jamaica Information Service. (2022, November 7). The New Road Traffic Regulations – Jamaica Information Service. https://jis.gov.jm/the-new-road-traffic-regulations-2022/#:~:text=The%20Road%20Traffic%20Act%202018%2C%20which%20repealed%20and%20replaced%20the,force%20as%20of%20February%202023.
- How do you handle overdue traffic tickets? (2022, August 15). How Do You Handle Overdue Traffic Tickets? | News | Jamaica Star. http://jamaica-star.com/article/news/20220815/how-do-you-handle-overdue-traffic-tickets
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.