Instant Pot Jamaican Oxtail
Simply Delicious Results!
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Instant Pot Jamaican Oxtail | Photo: Credit: littlesunnykitchen
by Venesha Johnson | Associate Writer
Oxtail is a traditional favourite, despite being awfully expensive. When done right it is sweet, savoury, spicy and just fall off the bone delicious. However, it does take quite some time to prepare.
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
It is mostly prepared using the same method, browning the meat and then covering it with water to cook until tender.
But, as times have changed and many of us now have a kitchen full of different gadgets and utensils, one new method of preparing oxtail has emerged, and it might be perfect for those who don’t have much time on their hands.
The appliance we are using today is the instant crock pot. And here are the reasons why it might be a better option for you:
You get to decide how long you spend preparing your dish. Or rather how long you have to dedicate to it. The crock pot has different time and temperature settings.
This means you can turn your crockpot on, leave it to attend to other things, or even go to work. Once it has reached the set time it will turn off automatically and go to the warm setting, which will prevent it from burning and also keep it warm for when you get home.
Using a crockpot may make your oxtail a lot more flavourful, unlike using the traditional stove top, where you may be required to add water to the pot multiple times during the cooking process, using a crockpot you simply fill the pot with water once, ultimately retaining more flavour.
How do you make Oxtail using your instant pot or crockpot?
On the stovetop, you are going to brown your oxtail, basically frying on both sides in shallow oil for about 6 minutes. This will help to lock in the flavour and juices of the oxtail.
Transfer to your crockpot set your timer and temperature then cover with water. In general, it takes around 3 to 4 hours on high to cook and around 8 hours on slow. The slow option is highly recommended if you want the fall off the bone texture.
Here's the full recipe for instant pot Jamaican Oxtail.
Instant Pot Jamaican Oxtail Recipe
- 3lbs oxtail- chopped
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 6 cloves of garlic- minced
- 1 large onion- chopped
- Handful pimento seeds
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- Vegetable oil
- 1 bunch escallions- chopped
- 2 medium carrots- chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper-cut into pieces, seeds removed
- 2 to 3 cups beef broth or water
- 1 tbsp Browning
- 1 small root of ginger- scraped and chopped
- Maggi or Goya adobo all-purpose seasoning
- 2 small Irish potatoes- chopped
- Wash oxtail with a mixture of water and vinegar then add all your seasonings, vegetables and herbs.
- In a Dutch pot or even a frying pan, add enough to cover the bottom of the pot. Add the brown sugar to the oil and allow it to start caramelizing.
Brown each piece of oxtail for 5 minutes on each side then set aside. You may have to do these in batches.
- Time to grab your crock pot. Add all your ingredients to your crockpot at once. Set your desired timer and temperature. 4 hours for high and 8 hours for low.
Once your oxtail is finished, serve with plain rice or rice and peas, fried ripe plantain and vegetable salad, for the perfect traditional Jamaican effect.
Things You Can Do Differently
- Browning the sides of your oxtail does make a little difference but it is quite consuming and completely optional.
- Using brown sugar while browning the oxtail also helps to add flavour but is also optional as you will already be using browning on the meat.
- Some people enjoy their oxtail with broad beans, you can add a tin when there is about an hour of cook time left. If you add them in the beginning they will be too soft.
- Experiment with your seasoning. You can add a variety of other seasonings and sauces such as garlic and onion powder, paprika, Worcestershire and soya sauce, ketchup and so much more.
- If your gravy isn't as thick as you like it, you can add cornstarch as a thickening agent towards the end of your cook time.
Don’t have a crockpot? Go here to try our traditional stovetop method for cooking oxtail.
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Jamaican Food Recipes from Instant Pot Jamaican Oxtail
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Instant Pot Jamaican Oxtail
References & Sources For Instant Pot Jamaican Oxtail
- Slow Cooker Oxtail, Rich and Flavorful - Healthy Recipes Blog, https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/oxtail-stew/#:~:text=They%20come%20out%20perfectly%20cooked,to%20get%20the%20best%20results.
Instant Pot Jamaican Oxtail | Written: July 27th, 2022
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.