Is Lemongrass and Fever Grass The Same?
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
Watch! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 90,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Is Lemongrass and Fever Grass The Same?
by Sheree-Anita Shearer | Associate Writer
In Jamaica, we have Fever Grass, a popular medicinal herb used to make teas and treat fevers. We often use Lemon Grass and Fever Grass interchangeably when speaking of the latter.
But how are we so sure? What are the differences?
Differences between Lemon Grass and Fever Grass
- Lemon Grass grows much larger than fever grass. Lemon grass can grow up to nearly 7 feet tall. While fever grass generally remains at just under 3 ft.
- While lemon grass grows tall, fever grass will grow wider as it multiplies rapidly.
- Lemon grass also shoots what is called a pharaoh around December. Fever grass does not have this.
- The root of the Lemon grass is generally a purple colour while fever grass remains green and produces a white residue on its stem. Lemon grass does not have this residue.
- Lemon grass has higher therapeutic properties than fever grass.
- Both plants can be used to treat fever but Fever Grass is better to treat it.
- They also smell different Lemon Grass has a lighter, soothing aroma while fever grass is more pungent.
Where is Lemon grass from?
The plant is native to Asia and is particularly important in Thai cuisine. Lemon grass does well in tropical climates and as such, it can now be found in Africa, Australia, North and South America and the Caribbean.
What is Lemon Grass Good For?
Jamaican Fever Grass
- Lemongrass is used in folk medicines to promote sleep, relieve pain, and boost immunity.
- It removes free radicals from the body with its antioxidant properties.
- The antimicrobial properties help with treating oral infections and cavities.
- It also has anti-inflammatory properties which lessen the threat of many conditions including heart diseases and cancers.
- Lemon grass promotes good digestive health and can be used to relieve stomach aches and cramps.
- Lemon grass oil can be used to reduce cholesterol.
- It may relieve symptoms of PMS during menstruation.
- Bee farmers often used Lemon grass whenever they are trying to make a new box. Just a drop in the box will allow the colony to follow the Queen bee into the new box.
- Lemon grass is used to make essential oils and therapeutic oils. You will often see or smell it at spas.
- Great for removing spots and evening out the skin tone.
- Lemon grass is a great mosquito repellant.
- Lemon grass is a fixture in Southeast Asian food. Particularly in Thai and Vietnamese cuisines. You'll find it in soups, salads, and curries. They use Lemon grass to give a citrusy zest to roasted meats and in some cases, the outer leaves can also be dried and brewed into a tea, or chopped fresh and utilized in a cocktail.
What is Lemon Grass used to make?
- Insect repellants
- Therapeutic Oils
- Essential Oils
Is it OK to Drink Lemongrass Tea Every Day?
Yes, lemon grass can be had every day. We often have it as tea in the mornings here in Jamaica. However, pregnant persons taking prescription diuretics, and having a low heart rate or potassium levels should not have lemon grass.
What is the side effect of lemon grass?
Some common side effects of lemon grass are:
- Increased hunger
- Dry mouth
- Increased urination
Rash, itching, difficulty breathing and rapid heart rate are serious signs of a lemon grass allergy. Should you experience any of these symptoms after having or using lemon grass then you should seek urgent medical attention.
What is the best time to drink lemongrass tea?
Lemongrass tea is often had at the start of the day. However, it is also great in the evenings as it promotes a night of more restful sleep.
Jamaican Lemon Grass Tea Recipe
- A few stalks of lemon grass
- Sugar or honey (optional)
- Place a teapot on the stove with 1 cup of water and allow it to come to a boil.
- When the water is boiled, wrap your lemongrass into a bundle, using the ends to secure the leaves.
- Pour the hot water over the lemongrass leaves and cover while it steeps. Allow it to steep for 5 to 6 minutes.
- From here you can strain, pour into a teacup, sweeten and enjoy.
The Lemongrass also makes a refreshing drink that is perfect for the summer. I’ll share that recipe with you as well.
Jamaican Mackerel Run Down Recipe
- Lemongrass leaves
- Ginger (as much as desired)
- Sugar (optional)
- Add your lemongrass, ginger and a litre of water to a blender.
- After blending, strain thoroughly and sweeten to your liking.
- Pour over ice and serve.
Watch Video! The Amazing Benefits Lemon Grass
You might like these
Plants in Jamaica - Learn more about the beautiful and exciting flora of Jamaica
The beautiful Jamaican caper flower; the 'perfect' plant.
The many uses and benefits of Jamaican thyme
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Jamaican Herbs from Is Lemongrass and Fever Grass The Same?
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Is Lemongrass and Fever Grass The Same?
References & Sources For Is Lemongrass and Fever Grass The Same?
- Indigo Herbs (2020) Lemongrass benefits, Indigo Herbs. Indigo Herbs. Available at: https://www.indigo-herbs.co.uk/natural-health-guide/benefits/lemongrass (Accessed: February 23, 2023).
- Lemongrass tea: Benefits, uses, and recipe (no date) Medical News Today. MediLexicon International. Available at: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321969#takeaway (Accessed: February 23, 2023).
- Lemongrass: Are there health benefits? pros, cons, nutrition, and more (no date) WebMD. WebMD. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/diet/lemongrass-health-benefits (Accessed: February 23, 2023).
- McDermott, A. (2019) Lemongrass tea: 10 benefits, Healthline. Healthline Media. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/lemongrass-tea#use (Accessed: February 23, 2023).
Is Lemongrass and Fever Grass The Same? | Written: February 24, 2023
Back To The Top Of This Page
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 100,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
Recommended For You ...
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.