Jamaican Rice and Peas Recipe
Jamaican Rice and Peas & Chicken
- 3 cups of rice
- 1 can of tinned or 1 cup of fresh red peas (either kidney beans or pigeon peas)
- 5 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 uncut scotch bonnet pepper (1 jalapeno pepper may be used as a substitute)
- 3 Scallion (spring onions may be used as a substitute)
- 1 tin (or one cup) of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme (2 teaspoons of dried thyme may be used as a substitute)
- If you are using fresh peas then wash these
- Pour on three cups of water and leave to soak overnight (nb - there is no need to do this if you are using tinned peas)
- Crush the garlic and add to seven cups of boiling water
- If you are using fresh peas add them now and boil for 45 minutes.
- You can test to see if the peas are cooked by crushing them against the lid of the pot. (If they crush easily, you are ready to move on to the next step). NB - If you are using tinned peas jest add them to the pot and move straight on to the next step.
- Add your coconut milk, rice, salt, black pepper and thyme to the mix.
- Crush the scallion (do not chop) and add this.
- Also add the uncut scotch bonnet pepper, nb - the pepper remains uncut so as to not make the rice spicy, just give it a subtle peppery flavour.
- The Rice and Peas should be ready after about 40 minutes (exact cooking time will depend on the brand of rice used).
- The Rice and Peas is now ready to serve!
Recommended For You ...
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on matching products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products that are related to your search. Be sure to check them out.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool, It works!
Or, simply click here to ask me the question. I'll do my best to get back to you within 24 hours!
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Top Of Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adores his culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' - since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 8,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
His efforts have earned him featured positions in local publications, including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers, as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies and universities.
He invites you to join his friends list and stay updated on all the latest. You are also invited to join his exclusive patron community.