Versatile & Nutritious
Jamaican Jackfruit Seeds
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
Watch! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 90,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Jamaican Jackfruit With Seeds
by Sheree-Anita Shearer | Associate Writer
As our knowledge of foods increases and their components are explored, we know even more about the amazing health benefits or in some instances the dire consequences of certain foods. Lucky for us Jackfruit does not fall into the latter category.
The fruit's popularity has increased exponentially as it is seen as a great meat alternative for non-vegans. All over it can be seen in restaurants, being curried, barbequed and prepared in countless other ways.
The Jackfruit, known for its pungent smell, is believed to have Asian origins as the fruit is produced in copious amounts in the countries Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Ski Lanka. As a matter of fact, it is the national fruit of Sri Lanka and Bangladesh and the state fruit for three southern Indian states.
The fruit with the scientific name Artocarpus heterophyllus is a part of the Moraceae family of fruits which includes figs, mulberries, and the Jamaican crowd's favourite breadfruit. But this is not to speak about the Jackfruit itself, but instead, we are planning to dig a little deeper and talk about Jamaican Jackfruit seeds.
Jackfruit seeds are often time thrown away but, they have their own health benefits whether cooked and eaten or included in traditional medicine such as in China.
What Are The Properties Of Jamaican Jackfruit Seed?
Jamaican Jackfruit Seeds (Dried)
A single Jamaican Jackfruit contains 100-500 seeds rich in:
- Resistant starch
Health Benefits Of Jamaican Jackfruit Seeds
- Skin Health - Jackfruit seeds can be used to fight skin diseases whether it is used digested or used externally on the skin. It also has antiaging properties which will keep wrinkles at bay.
- Hair Health - Jackfruit seeds have properties which prevent dry and brittle hair.
- Stomach health - The seeds are an easy remedy for indigestion and constipation
- Anaemia - The jackfruit seed can lessen the risk of anaemia as it is a great source of iron.
- Eye Health - Jackfruit seeds have components that prevent night blindness.
It also lowers the risk of heart disease and promotes weight loss. There are still ongoing tests and while there is no concrete evidence, it is believed the Jackfruit seeds have anti-cancer properties, but more on that will come as the benefits of the seeds are scientifically explored.
How Are The Seeds Prepared?
There are countless ways to enjoy your Jackfruit seeds as long as they are baked, roasted or cooked. They will cause serious complications if raw. You need not worry though all the methods of preparing the seeds are quite easy to accomplish on your own.
- Cooking - Remove the seeds from the fruit and rinse them under fresh water. Add the seeds to a pot and ensure it is covered with at least 2 inches of water. Allow the water to come to a boil then, lower the heat and allow it to simmer for just about 30 minutes or until fork tender.
You may see some white shells floating to the top of the pot, don’t worry it has just started the final process for you. This is to remove the outer shells after the seeds are drained and cooled.
- Roasting - Add your seeds to a pot over medium heat and roast them, stirring occasionally until the skin is blistered and easily removed. Allow them to cool and then remove the seeds.
- Baking - This step is similar to roasting them, baking should take about 20 minutes, remove them from the oven when they are done, and then remove the outer shells.
From here, you have unlimited possibilities as to how to prepare your Jackfruit seeds. They can be:
- Roasted and had as a snack
- Used to top salads
- Made into flour
- Made into hummus
- Among countless other inviting dishes
Should I Avoid Jackfruit Seeds?
If raw, Jackfruit seeds can increase the risk of bleeding as it has been known to slow down or prevent blood clotting in humans altogether.
So, if you have these challenges and are on medication associated with these concerns, the best advice is to stay away from Jackfruit seeds or at the very least seek the advice of a trusted physician.
- Medications of note to avoid in this instance:
- Anticoagulants (blood thinners)
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen or naproxen)
- antiplatelet drugs
Curried Jackfruit Seed Recipe
- Pimento (allspice)
- Scotch bonnet pepper
- Coconut milk (optional)
- Boil your jackfruit seeds until fork-tender and allow them to drain and cool. Remove the outer shells and set your seeds aside.
- Prepare your seasoning by slicing your onions into thin rings, peeling your ginger and chopping your escallion and tomatoes.
- To a large pan, add your oil of choice and apply medium-high heat.
- Add your onion, garlic and ginger first and allow to sauté until the onions are soft.
- Add your curry powder.
- Next, it is time to add your remaining vegetables and seasonings (still hold on to your scotch bonnet though).
- Stir all those ingredients for a minute before adding your jackfruit seeds and scotch bonnet pepper.
- If you are using coconut milk, now is the time to add it, if not just add water or vegetable broth, cover the pot with the lid and allow to simmer until the sauce thickens.
Serve with boiled green bananas, boiled breadfruit, roast breadfruit, dumpling or yam.
There are so many great ways to prepare Jamaican Jackfruit seeds, but they all provide the same fantastic health benefits the powerful seed provides!
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Jamaican Fruits from Jamaican Jackfruit Seeds
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Jamaican Jackfruit Seeds
References & Sources For Jamaican Jackfruit Seeds
- Jackfruit Seed Curry - Healthier Steps, https://healthiersteps.com/recipe/jackfruit-seed-curry/
- 9 Wonderful Benefits Of Jackfruit Seeds + A Killer Recipe, https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/benefits-of-jackfruit-seeds-for-skin-hair-and-health/
- Are Jackfruit Seeds Poisonous? Benefits, Concerns, and Uses, https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/jackfruit-seeds
- 6 Remarkable Benefits of Jackfruit Seeds - NDTV Food, https://food.ndtv.com/health/6-remarkable-benefits-of-jackfruit-seeds-1667345
- Where Does Jackfruit Come From and How is it Grown? https://www.foodunfolded.com/article/jackfruit-how-its-grown
- Jackfruit Seeds How to Eat Them - In The Kitchen With Matt, https://www.inthekitchenwithmatt.com/jackfruit-seeds-how-to-eat-them
Other Great Articles You Might Have Missed
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.