The Yellow-Orange Medicinal Magic!
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Surprising Health Benefits of Jamaican Turmeric (also known as Tumeric here)
By Kesha Stewart | Associate Writer
Turmeric gets a lot of respect for its flavourful and colourful addition to our cooking here in Jamaica. We use it to replace curry in my household and the results have been complimentary; there is a vibrant yellow-orange pop of colour and a subtle but interesting flavour to the meals.
But recently I spoke to an herbalist in St. Elizabeth, and let’s just say my perspective of turmeric has changed, totally!
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
I realized that I had turmeric in a straight jacket.
So this that I am writing is my ‘apology’ to turmeric. I really do hope it forgives me for foolishly confining it to my kitchen.
Now that my eyes have been opened, I realize that turmeric is a standout for its medicinal properties as well (perhaps even more than) its culinary appeal.
As part of my “repentance” I'll share with you some of the medicinal magic of Jamaican turmeric with you. Much of the information I share can be validated by clients of the herbalist or from personal experience.
Medicinal Benefits Of Jamaican Turmeric
Medicinal Benefits Of Tumeric
So, don't just cook with it, steep it and have it in a cup. While you savour the flavour, you're also...
- Purifying your blood
- Boosting your nervous system
- Caring for your heart
- Improving your circulation
- Treating kidney problems
- Regulating your blood pressure (hypertension and hypotension)
- Relieving constipation/diarrhea
- Relieving indigestion and
- Treating diabetes (it helps with controlling blood sugar by increasing insulin production)
And There Is More!
- Did you know that tumeric has the ability to protect the liver? Yes! It repairs damaged liver cells.
- It also supports gall bladder function by enabling bile to be more soluble this results in improving the excretion of bile salts and cholesterol from the gall bladder thereby reducing cholesterol resulting in the reduction of gall stone.
Sounds like a mouthful? All great reasons to keep sipping.
- I was also pleasantly surprised to find out that tumeric is highly effecting at alleviating poor circulation.
- Tumeric is a must have for those suffering from Alzheimer’s because it protects against memory loss even in those who are already experiencing signs of the disease.
And, there is also good news for weight watchers!
- Turmeric improves metabolism!
Turmeric For Beauty Care
Jamaican Turmeric | Tumeric
For the persons into natural beauty care, turmeric is useful in fighting pigmentation issues as well as treating eczema and pimples.
Want to maintain or recapture your youthful looks? Have tumeric it’s great for preventing premature aging.
So you look younger. I love this news :-)
It may be grated (fresh) and massage into the face (may be combined with charcoal for a more balanced effect).
And One More Thing...
I couldn’t leave without letting you know that my new friend tumeric is able to treat:
- Yeast infection
- HIV and
- Treat skin fungus
- Act as a detoxifier
- Reduce pain and discomfort.
For example, it can be grated and bandaged to the head to relieve that nagging headache!
And listen to this.. tumeric can protect against radiation injury for those who are doing radiation treatments!
By now you must be thinking that surely there is nothing more that tumeric can do as a medicine?
Well how about being able to...
- treat ulcers,
- alleviate coughing,
- and kill intestinal parasites!
Is Turmeric Safe?
I figure, you'd ask!
Turmeric is considered to be very safe. In fact, according to a report from the University of Utah, very few side effects have been reported from tumeric, and these include nausea and diarrhea when taking higher doses.
However, when taking as a dietary supplement, it is advisable to discuss same with your health care provider before starting turmeric as a supportive or preventive therapy.
So whether you’re brewing a cup of powdered tumeric to enjoy hot/cold, grating a fresh one or some other novel way, remember you’re benefiting from the antioxidant rich, anti-inflammatory, metabolism boosting magic of turmeric!
Watch Video! LIVE The Turmeric Farm Tour In Hanover, Jamaica
Compliments of BarrSpice, from the Cockpit country, Jamaican turmeric is now one of the special items I list on my my Etsy store. To learn more about it, click here.
Other Helpful Pages Related To Jamaican Turmeric?
Sources & References for Jamaican Turmeric
- "12 Scientific Health Benefits of Turmeric and Curcumin", https://www.everydayhealth.com/, https://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/diet/scientific-health-benefits-turmeric-curcumin/, Accessed May 23, 2020
- "Everything you need to know about turmeric", https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/, https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/306981#nutrition-of-turmeric, Accessed May 23, 2020
- "BENEFITS OF TURMERIC", University Of Utah, https://healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed/postings/2020/02/turmeric.php, Accessed May 23, 2020
- "TURMERIC", WebMD, https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-662/turmeric, Accessed May 23, 2020
Return to Jamaican Bush Teas & Herbs from Jamaican Turmeric?
Return to My-Island-Jamaica.com Homepage from Jamican Turmeric?
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.