with all that's new at My-Island-Jamaica, Click Here to subscribe
for my updates and don't miss a thing!
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
QUESTION about: Can I Take Medicinal Cannabis To Jamaica?
Can Canadians fly to Jamaica with their medicinal marijuana?
Are there dispensaries there to get some?
ANSWER: by Kesha Stewart
Right off the bat I will say no. You can't take your medicinal marijuana to Jamaica with you.
I'm guessing that you already know that marijuana use is popular in Jamaica. Yes it is. This has continued steadily despite oppressive legislation beginning in 1913. Measures included imprisonment, hefty fines, discrimination, and even flogging.
But did you know that, East Indian labourers bought marijuana to Jamaica in the 1850's?
In 2015 the government decided to amended the laws about cannabis in Jamaica. Visitors to the island, who already have proof from their country of origin, that they require cannabis for medicinal use, may purchase a permit right at the airport. This means that you will be able to justify having 2 ounces or less of cannabis at any one time in your possession. You may purchase weed from entities licensed by the Cannabis Licencing Authority (CLA) or check out their website to learn more (cla.org.jm).
Here are some more facts about cannabis in Jamaica:
1. Decriminalized use at or below two (2) ounces. Possession of two ounces or less is equivalent to a petty offense with an accompanying fine of $4.50 US dollars equivalent to $500 in local currency and no criminal record will result.
2. It's legal for a household to cultivate five (5) plants or less.
3. Adult Rastafarians can use marijuana for religious purposes in designated places.
4. Rastafarians can grow and transport specified amounts without being charged.
5. Cannabis is also called weed, herbs, sensi, ganja and collie (to name a few).
6. There are now licensed cannabis growers in Jamaica and a Ganja Growers Association.
Many things have changed but this hasn't...Do Not Try to Leave Jamaica With even a Trace of Cannabis in your Possession! It cannot be in your luggage or on your person. This is a criminal offense and can land you in trouble with the law.
After all is said and done, cannabis is still a drug.
PS: Never smoke in areas marked "No Smoking."
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to JamaicaQuestions.
Other Great Articles You Might Have Missed
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.