My best Jamaican childhood memories
by Karen Jackson
My best child hood memories are from living in Jamaica!
- The joy of feeling proud to wear pink and blue uniform.
- The teachers and the principal cared with discipline.
- My helper taking me to beach - eating sugar on a daily basis.
- Taking the train to May Pen, the fun of looking out the window – watching the higglers going on and off the train.
- The delicious bammy and peppered fish.
- Tamarind in may pen along with jackass corn (pastry).
- Going to YS falls, and bluefields beach on weekends.
- The love displayed by other parents, keeping an eye on each others children while keeping care and disciplined in place.
- Buying fried fish, yam and bammy on the roadside.
- Driving to Kingston using the north side of the island and getting the excitement of finding flat bridge not flooded and seeing the bauxite pit - knowing if the car goes in no one is coming out.
My parents kept of lot of what Jamaica really is from me as child so it became a shock as an adult. There were bad memories also but all the fun stuff far outweighs them and provides the joy I feel when I think about my childhood in Jamaica.
New! Looking for authentic Jamaican Grocery items? Click Here to check out my top recommendations on Amazon.com
Recommended For You ...
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on matching products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products that are related to your search. Be sure to check them out.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
Top Of Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adores his culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' - since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 8,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
His efforts have earned him featured positions in local publications, including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers, as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies and universities.
He invites you to join his friends list and stay updated on all the latest. You are also invited to join his exclusive patron community.