Traditional Jamaican Black Christmas cake
by Cutel Francis
(NY, Mount Vernon, United States )
I was reading your recipes and the Jamaican black cake reminds me of my baking days. I have baked this cake every Christmas from I was 24 years old until I was 52 years old.
In the first 4 years I only baked a 2 pound mixture, there afterwards I baked 2 batches of 2 pounds mixture.
Most of it was given away to family and friends.
This was my recipe...
- 2 lbs. margarine (I used to use the dairy maid 2 lb. tub)
- 2 lbs. brown sugar
- 2 lbs all purpose flour (I used the JF Mills package flour, it had a yellow label)
- 16 eggs
- Half bottle browning (I use either eve or Geddy’s)
- 8 tteaspoons baking powder
- 1.5 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons mixed spice
- 3 teaspoons rose water
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- ¼ cup vanilla
- 2.5 lbs. fruits (raisins, prunes, cherries)
- ½ gallon red label wine
- 1.5 cups white rum
- Cream margarine and sugar
- Beat in eggs into mixture
- Divide flour into 3 parts and fold into mixture a portion at a time.
- In the last third of flour combine baking powder and other dry ingredients and fold into mixture
- Add rose water, almond extract, vanilla, and browning to mixture and fold in.
- Add fruits (fruits previously soaked in wine for months up to a year and slightly blended)
- Add ¼ cup rum
- Add wine so that it is not too runny in consistency.
I like to steam bake it hence the reason for the extra wine. The baking time is much longer.
Pour into greased baking tins and bake at 350 F or 180 C.
Mix remaining wine and rum and use to periodically wet cakes to keep them moist.
C. FrancisWellesley's Note
This is beautiful, and timely - right in time for the holidays. Thanks again for sharing Cutel.
New! Talk To Me
Was the information helpful? Something needs changing? I welcome your feedback here.
Recommended For You ...
Other Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
Top Of Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adores his culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 9,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
efforts have earned him featured positions in local publications,
including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers,
as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies
He invites you to join his friends list and stay updated on all the latest. You are also invited to join his exclusive patron community.