What Are The Rights of Jamaican Landowners?
QUESTION: What are the Rights of Landowners in Jamaica?
I live abroad; my house is occupied by my brother. He returned from a business trip to find the land in the back of my property cleared. When he inquired about the reason for the clearing, he was told that I do not own the land therefore they are going to build there.
I have title and survey for the land. My brother is afraid to confront these people.
What is my recourse at this time?
ANSWER: by Kesha Stewart
It is unfortunate that these issues have emerged with the property you own in Jamaica. I should inform you of some of the particular rights you have as owner of property in Jamaica.
Some rights of land owners in Jamaica:
1. No one should capture your land
2. No one should build on your land
3. No one should build set up of a business place on your property
4. No one should be planting of crops on your property
There are some circumstances which may result in loss of ownership or rights. Here are a few:
1. Unpaid taxes
2. As a result of bankruptcy or other legal proceeds
3. Mental illness i.e. being declared to be of unsound mind. In this case the court will grant permission for someone else to manage your affairs.
Where do I turn for assistance if my ownership rights are being breached?
1. Appoint an attorney.
2. The owner may also appoint someone they trust well to act on his/her behalf if he/she is unavailable – power of attorney. You may seek information about how this process is done in your jurisdiction.
3. Call or visit the Legal Aid Council its address is 72-76 Harbour Street in Kingston on the ground floor of the air Jamaica building. They help persons who have challenges affording their legal costs. Email them at email@example.com or telephone at 876-948-699
4. There are also Legal Aid Clinics at three locations
a. in Kingston on 131 Tower Street or by Tel. 876- 922-3792
b. in St. James at 42B Union Street, Montego Bay
c. Norman Law School Clinic University of the West Indies (UWI) Mona Campus at Tel. 876-876-927-1007.
It is recommended that you act responsibly and urgently in order to prevent your situation from escalating beyond its present status.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to JamaicaQuestions.
Recommended For You ...
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool, It works!
Or, simply click here to ask me the question. I'll do my best to get back to you within 24 hours!
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on great Jamaican products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products from their inventory.
As an ardent customer and affiliate I earn a small commission from your purchase, at no extra cost to you. So thanks in advance.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Ready To Vacation?
Please Book With Us...
Was the information helpful to you?
Here is a great way to support our effort.
All you need to do is book your vacation via the reputable HotelsCombined.com search box below.
It can be for travel to Jamaica or anywhere else on earth.
They combine the best deals from across all major booking sites and shows you only the very best!
Not quite ready to book? Start by searching (below) to get some amazing ideas now.
You are also welcome to join my special friends list and receive exclusive updates (like this), tips, trivia and stories from lovers of Jamaica! Just enter...
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Top Of Page