with all that's new at My-Island-Jamaica, Click Here to subscribe
for my updates and don't miss a thing!
Antonette Wemyss Gorman – Historic Jamaican Woman And the Next Army Boss
by Deon Clarke | Associate Writer
Suddenly the name Antonette Wemyss Gorman
is a hot topic. So what’s all this buzz about? And why? Who is she? And what does she have to do with making history?
Yes, it’s Jamaica at it again for you. It seems Jamaicans are always in the mood to make history. Oh Yes, this is historic on many levels. Read along to learn more.Commodore Antonette Wemyss Gorman
is a breath away from becoming the next Chief of Defence Staff
in the the Jamaica Defense Force
! Take a deep breath and let that sink in. She will be replacing Lieutenant General Rocky Meade who will be retiring soon. Yes, you read right!. At this point, she is the only female slated to be an army “boss” in the entire world. She would be the second female in history to attain this position, after the Slovenian, Alenka Ermenc who was head of the Slovenian Armed Forces from November 28, 2018, to March 14, 2020.
This announcement that the highest-ranked female in the JDF, Commodore Antonette Wemyss Gorman, is to be our next army chief, marks a pivotal moment in the JDF; it should also serve as a catalyst for females of all ages and societal ranks. I believe they will be newly motivated to strive for their goals and never give up on their dreams. It also augurs well for gender equality.
A trail of success has adorned the path of this 29 year veteran of the JDF. She has been promoted to several strategic posts, seemingly in preparation to seize this historic moment. Additionally, she is the recipient of local and international awards, among other noteworthy accomplishments, with several being first for a female. We definitely do not want the achievements of this woman to go unnoticed. As we await the spine-tingling moment when the appointment becomes effective- as early as January 2022, let’s salute Commodore Antonette Wemyss Gorman.
- Commodore Wemyss Gorman is poised to become the only female army head in the world as long as no other female is appointed ahead of her in any other country before her appointment in January 2022.
- At age 48yrs, she is the first female ever to be appointed as Chief of Staff for the nearly 60-year-old Jamaican Military
- She will become the first woman to be appointed to the rank of Rear Admiral within the JDF as soon as her position as Chief of Defence Staff is formalized
- She is the most senior ranking female and Naval officer in the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF)
- Presently she is the only female to attain a flag rank (an officer who commands presence at sea by flying a flag). She has spent more than half of her time in the JDF, aboard different types of ships in the JDF Coast Guard
- During her 15 years aboard JDF Coast Guard ships, she was deployed to Haiti as well and sailed throughout the Caribbean, The Bahamas, the Dominican Republic, Curacao, and many other countries on several diplomatic missions
- She went overseas to complete her professional development training at the Britannia Royal Naval College, HMS Dryadin, and the US Naval War College. She also obtained a Master’s Degree with distinction in National Security and Strategic Studies from the University of the West Indies (UWI)
- As the architect behind the establishment of the Caribbean Military Maritime Training Centre (CMMTC) in 2012, she developed the core courses for the centre. This includes a flagship Bridge Watchkeeping course for officers and the Naval Boarding Party course for those enlisted. This initiative saw over 300 persons being trained from within the JDF and local and regional partners alike
- She bears responsibility for the Maritime Air and Cyber Command which includes the JDF Air Wing, JDF Coast Guard, and Special Forces
- Outside of the JDF, Wemyss Gorman has held several noteworthy positions such as a secondment to the Ministry of Transport and Works where she worked as Deputy Director for Marine Transport; appointments to the Fisheries Advisory Board; and appointment to the National Covid-19 Response Advisory Committee
- She has held the rank of Commodore (the naval equivalent of a brigadier) since February 15, 2019
- She was the first sea-going officer to serve in the JDF
- First female to the rank of Commander in 2014
- First female to the rank of Captain (N) in 2018
- She collaborates with the Women Leadership Initiative (WLI) arm of the United Nations through which she provides charitable service to girls as she is very passionate about female empowerment
- She is a country girl; hailing from Top Alston in Clarendon where she grew up with her grandparents
- Her educational journey started at Knox Preparatory School in the parish and she continued to Knox College
- Her employment journey started as a customer service representative in 1990 when she joined Cable and Wireless (now FLOW). Two years later, at the age of 19, she joined the JDF
- And there’s more! She has received many awards as listed below:
- The Order of Distinction (Officer Class) for her distinguished military service
- The Medal of Honor for Meritorious Service
- The Military Commendation Medal
- The Medal of Honor for General Service for operations in the local theatre
- International award for distinguished leadership from the United Nations Women Leadership Initiative (WLI) in 2015
- You would wonder where she would find time to be a wife and a mother despite her hectic schedule and many commitments but she is. She is married to Jonathan Wemyss Gorman and has a 15-year-old son, James. She is an avid gardener.
Wow, a staggering amount of accolades! Can you believe one person could achieve so much! However, her response to her appointment is tempered with humility, describing herself as “just another Jamaican who has the opportunity to serve the country.”
Never underestimate the strength of a woman. A truly deserving Chief of Staff, pioneering the way for female empowerment and gender equality. The Commodore has committed to inspiring women to follow in her footsteps. Women and men of every rank salute you Commodore Wemyss Gorman! Truly a Jamaican setting the right trends.
I also recommend you read The Jamaican Military System (Plus The Application Form)
- 12 things about history-making Antonette Wemyss Gorman, Loop Jamaica, https://jamaica.loopnews.com/content/12-things-about-history-making-antonette-wemyss-gorman
- Jamaica Observer, https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/modest-history-maker-i-m-just-another-jamaican-who-has-an-opportunity-to-serve-the-country-says-incoming-chief-of-defence-staff-antonette-wemyss-gorman_231962
- More history greets Wemyss Gorman's pending appointment as JDF head, Loop Jamaica, https://jamaica.loopnews.com/content/more-history-greets-wemyss-gormans-pending-appointment-jdf-head
- Force Executive Officer | JDF.org The Official Website of The Jamaica Defence Force, https://www.jdfweb.com/force-executive-officer/
Do you have a question? Submit it right here
! With well over 2000 questions already answered
, chances are we can assist :-)
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to website_comments.
Sharing IS Caring... Its now YOUR turn to...
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, My Island Jamaica Digest here.
Back To The Top Of This Page
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
New! Talk To Me
Was the information helpful? Something needs changing? I welcome your feedback here.
Recommended For You ...
Other Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
Back To The Top Of This Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adore its culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 9,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
efforts have earned this site featured positions in local publications,
including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers,
as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies
and universities. Read more about him here.
He invites you to subscribe to this site to stay updated on all the latest and check out his unique Jamaican products on his Etsy store.
If you are on social media, here are the links to follow his latest posts
You are also invited to join his exclusive JAMHearts community where like-minded Jamaican enthusiasts discuss all things Jamaican.