Does Jamaican Locals Get Discounted Rate At Attractions?
(New Hampshire, USA)
I made some friends on my last visit there and would like them to join me at some of the attractions when I come back in September.
Do they get a discounted price since they live there?
ANSWER: by Wellesley
Hey there Jill,
Thanks for asking!
In most cases, at most places, yes, there is a discounted rate for Jamaican locals.
But notice that I said most places. In other words, not all attractions, it depends on where.
I challenged myself and surveyed thirteen (13) of the top attractions in Jamaica, namely:
- Dunns' River Falls
- Rose Hall Great House
- Green Grotto Cave
- Appleton Estate Tour
- Rocklands Bird Sanctuary
- Mystic Mountain, Rainforest Adventures
- Kool Runnings WaterPark
- Sommerset Falls
- Bob Marley Museum
- Greenwood Great House
- Doctors Cave Beach
- Ricks Cafe &
- Martha Brae rafting
And 8 of the 13 does offer discounted rates for locals!
The other 5 had standard rates for everyone, meaning both local and visitor to Jamaica.
Which are they? I categorized them above accordingly.
Note that your local friend(s) will need to provide proof or identification of Jamaican nationality, which would include a Drivers License, Passport or National ID.
I find that, for the most part, it is the 'native' attractions that seem to offer the discounted rates.
Those with mixed offerings, eg. Ricks Cafe
, which has cliff jumping
but also has a bar and restaurant, there is a standard rate for both locals and visitors.
They, in particular, have no entry fee, but charge the same price for their food and drinks, regardless of local or visitor.
Those Offering Discounted Rates For Locals (Adult Rates)
- Dunns' River Falls, Phone: (876) 974-4767. Local Price: 1,000 JMD /25 USD Standard
- Rose Hall Great house, Phone: (876) 953-2323. Local Price: 1,500JMD/ 25 USD Standard
- Green Grotto Cave, Phone: 973-2841. Local Price: 1000/ 20 USD Standard
- Appleton Estate Tour, Phone: (876) 963-9012. Local Price: 2,000 JMD/ 30 USD Standard
- Rocklands Bird Sanctuary 876-952-2009. Local Price: 1,000 JMD / 20 USD Standard
- Mystic Mountain Adventures Phone: 876-618-1553. Local Price: eg. SkyExplorer 2850 JMD / 47 USD Standard
- Kool Runnings Water Park Phone: (876) 618-0780. Local Price: 3,355 JMD / 39.96 USD Stadard
- Sommeset Falls Phone: (876) 913-0046. Local Price: 1,500 JMD / 25 USD Standard
Those Offering Standard Rates For Both Local and Visitors (Adults)
- Bob Marley Museum, Phone: 876-630-1588. Standard Price: 25 USD or 3,000 JMD
- Ricks Cafe, Phone: (876) 957-0380. Standard Price: Depends on the menu item
- Greenwood Great House, Phone: (876) 953-1077. Standard Price: 30USD or 2,400 JMD
- Doctors Cave Beach, Phone: (876) 952-2566. Standard Price: 750JMD or 6 USD
- Martha Brae Rafting, (876) 952-0889. Standard Price: 65 USD or 7,800 JMD for maximum two persons and a child (Same price for one person)
Not also that all the attractions and places to visit above (and those I know of) do offer discounted rates for children, whether local or overseas.
In most cases it is usually half price (50%) of the standard rate and is usually applicable to kids between the ages of 4 and 12 years old.
I hope this helps.
And by the way, if you are looking for other great places to go in Jamaica, I suggest you take a look at the places shared by my readers here
P.S. We've answered HUNDREDS of questions, click here
to get even more answers.
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on matching products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products that are related to your search. Be sure to check them out.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adores his culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' - since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 8,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
His efforts have earned him featured positions in local publications, including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers, as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies and universities.
He invites you to join his friends list and stay updated on all the latest. You are also invited to join his exclusive patron community.