Subscribe for all my updates and don't miss a thing! Sign me up!

Government Pension In Jamaica
How Do I collect my pension if I now live overseas?

Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.


New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!

Government Pension In JamaicaGovernment Pension In Jamaica

by Sheree-Anita Shearer | Associate Writer

Public Sector workers in Jamaica, are awarded a pension when they retire. If you were a public servant (teacher, police officer, soldier, etc.), for a number of years, that means you are qualified to apply for your pension.
The particulars of your pension may vary depending on the sector in which you worked. However, this is some general information on what will be required.

New! How much do you love Jamaica?

Join our growing list of well-thinking Jamaica-loving folks who are demonstrating what a friendly, helpful and fun Jamaican community looks like. Click Here to learn more.

And, if you ever need a trustworthy and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!

When you begin receiving your cheque, both pensioners living in and outside of Jamaica will start to receive life certificates every four months. These should be completed and sent back to the office in a timely manner.

The pensioner’s name, address, account number and the particulars of the ministry from which he/she retired are included. All that’s there to do is fill out the form, add their signature, have it signed by a notary public and send it back to the Pensions Unit of the Accountant General’s Department.

The notary publics allowed to sign life certificates are:

  • Justice of the Peace with stamp and seal
  • Police Inspector with stamp and seal
  • Minister of Religion with stamp and seal
  • Bank Manager with stamp and seal
  • Post Office Manager or Clerk with stamp and seal
  • Principal with School stamp and seal

For those residing overseas

  • A Notary Public with stamp and seal
  • Civil Servants of the equivalent rank of GMG/SEG1 stating their rank and stamped with the stamp of the Ministry or Department to which they belong

These kinds of certificates are distributed depending on the category of pensioner you fall into. The original life certificate is printed by payroll, the duplicate certificate as a replacement in case the first is lost or damaged and, a life certificate specifically for the persons living abroad but are paid locally.

In the event that your life certificate is not sent, then you will need to visit the AGD (Accountant General Department) and complete a barcoded form or ask that one be mailed to you instead. Life certificates cannot be faxed or E-mailed, they must be mailed in or brought directly to the office.

Proof of Permanent Residence for Overseas Pensioners

For those living overseas, after you have applied for and received approval for your pension, you will need to verify that you hold permanent residence in that country. To fulfil this requirement, a notarized letter must be sent to the Pensions Unit, requesting that payments be sent overseas.

The letter should also be accompanied by some proof of permanent legal residence. When this is done, your pensions will be sent to you through the established authority of each country.

What Could Delay My Pension?

I mentioned this briefly before, but let’s get into a little more detail. Failure to submit the life certificate on time or submitting an invalid certificate will result in the retiree's pension being held until a valid life certificate is given to the department. Upon the reinstatement of your pension, the outstanding balances will be paid over to you.

Also, if you receive your cheques by mail and you fail to collect them within two weeks, they will be returned to the Accountant Generals' office. Failing to collect your cheques for two consecutive months will also result in the suspension of your pension.

Health Insurance Plan

Government pensioners will also benefit from the partnership between the Government of Jamaica and Sagicor Life Insurance through the health plan designed especially for them. With this health coverage, the government covers 90% of the actual cost of the plan while the pensions bear the remaining 10%.

Pensioners who qualify, can apply directly to Sagicor for membership and have the option of an individual or family coverage plan.

Since this normal plan does not include hospitalization assistance, pensioners also have the option to enrol in the supplemental Medigap plan which would provide hospitalisation assistance for the individual or family, depending on the plan on which they are enrolled.

Officers proceeding on retirement and who have elected to receive the Alimentary and Advance on gratuity may apply to the Government Pension Administrative Services Only (GPASO) through their Personnel Unit.

In the event that you need to make changes to your personal information, for example; mailing addresses, appointing agents, or changing the mode of payment, they must first be signed by the pensioner and witnessed by a Justice of the Peace.

Frequently Asked Questions For Government Pensioners  In Jamaica

Will widow/widower’s pension cease if you remarry?

If you are the widow/widower of a public officer, pensions will continue if you happen to remarry, however, if your partner was a member of the Police Force (JCF/ISCF) or Jamaican National Defence Force pensions will cease.

Do Pensioners Pay Taxes?

Once it is above the tax threshold, the 25% income tax applies to the difference.

If you have more questions or concerns, the Accountant General Department is a great place you can contact them at:

Contact Information

Accountant General’s Department

  • Address: The Ministry of Finance & the Public Service Building, 30 National Heroes Circle, Kingston 4, Jamaica
  • Phone: +1 (876) 922-8320-7 / +1 (876) 922-7906
  • Toll-Free: 1-888-991-3005
  • WhatsApp: (876) 818-6583
  • Email:
  • Opening Hours (For Pensions and Loans): Monday-Thursday 8:30 AM-3 PM (Fridays until 2 PM)

If you had continued your NIS contributions as a voluntary contributor while living abroad, you might qualify for your NIS pension as well.

You might like these

Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)

If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more

It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica! 

Return to Jamaican Passport Renewal from Government Pension In Jamaica
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Government Pension In Jamaica

References & Sources For Government Pension In Jamaica

  1. Accountant General's Department,
Back To The Top Of This Page

New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿


You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!

JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!

I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!

See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!


My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.


Read More ...

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.

New! Experience The REAL Jamaica!
Book Your Private Tour here and experience Jamaica the way we (locals) do!

P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for? 
Still need help?

Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!

Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.

Back To The Top Of This Page

Like My Site? Please Click Here To Share It With Your Friends

Home   |   JOIN US   |   Site Search   |   Have Your Say   |   Archives   |   Old Archives   |   Contact   |   Disclaimer   |   TIP ME!   |   Link To Us

Do like I did! Share your passion
(about your city, hobby or experience) and make a living from it. Click Here to see how

By Wellesley Gayle   |   Copyright © 2007-2024   |   All rights Reserved.   |   Privacy Policy