herbs and practices for illnesses in Jamaica
(Oak Harbor Wa, USA)
I was wondering what are some of the attitudes and practices concerning sickness?
What types of medicine or herbs are used to prevent and cure illnesses?
I am doing a report on Jamaica and this is one of the questions it wanted me to answer :).
ANSWER: by Wellesley Gayle
I am not too clear on your first question, so I am going to ask you to be just a bit more specific by adding comments below.
The second one is easy. While the metropolitan Jamaican may not necessarily be aware of these, the truth is that many herbs (inc. bushes and seeds) are still used for medicinal purposes in the rural communities. Many are used to make tea, while others are rubbed on.
- Leaf-of-life -Good for colds, bronchitis, hypertension and headaches.
- Shame-A-Macka -Also good for colds, chest pains and stomach pains
- Dandelion -For skin disorders as well as jaundice, bladder, liver and dropsy.
- Marijuana (Ganja) -used as eye drop for glaucoma. Tea for diabetes and asthma.
- Bizzy Nut -for food poisioning, as well as menstrual cramps, headache, gout, rheumatism, jaundice, nausea, vomiting, and upset stomach.
- Cerassee -for colds, stomach problems and laxative.
- Ginger -Many uses, improves digestion.
- Soursop Leaves -For colds and nerves problems.
- Sarsaparilla -for arthristis, and other pains of the body.
- Comfrey -for diarrhoea, colds and coughs, sprains, arthritis.
- Jackanana bush -cold, fever and influenza.
- Orange peel -Tea used for stomach aches.
- Spirit Weed -used for colds, headaches,epilepsy and ulcers.
- Fever Grass -for fever and colds.
- Spanish Needle -for colic and indigesition.
- Periwinkle (Ramgoat roses) -Used for diarrhoea and nerve conditions.
- Aloe Vero (Sinkle-Bible) - Good laxataive and body cleanser, also good for acne and skin blemishes.
Be sure to read our article on Jamaican bush teas here
I hope that helps your research. Stay in touch
Related Pages:History and Culture Q & AJamaican PlantsJamaican CultureMarijuana in JamaicaOur Jamaica BlogAnd even more...Search Here
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to JamaicaQuestions.
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.