How Many Of These Did You Know? Be Honest :-)
by Kesha Stewart
Bob Marley told us to “Smile You’re in Jamaica”, and it seems we are doing just that. You will find the island ranked #11 on the Happy Planet Index. I imagine that this contributes to Jamaican’s life expectancy of 75.3 years; something to smile about (wouldn’t you say?)
But we have some startling statistics:
- How about divorce a of about 7%?
- A spiraling crime rate which places us 4th in the world
- A public debt ranking 7th in the world
- A perception of inequality 67th (out of 140 countries)
- Unemployment 15%
- Poverty 17%
- Corruption perception 83rd (out of 176 countries)
But these amazing Jamaican facts provides some hope:
- Ranked #1 in Latin America and the Caribbean for mobile phone usage
- 62% of agricultural land under cultivation or into animal production
- Education enrolment of 99% and school attendance average of 80%
- Vaccination levels in the 90’s (%)
- Ranked 51st (out of 140 countries) for ecological footprints
- Top ten most improved countries for doing business
- The best place in the Caribbean to do business
- When you visit Jamaica, you help to contribute to our GDP which presently stands at USD5,000 per capita.
- The population of 2,970,340 has an average age of 25.6 years
- There are more males (51%) than females (49%) in the general population yet we are ranked 9th in terms of gender parity at the tertiary level (female enrollment outstripping male)
The colloquial motto is, “Jamaica, no Problem” and you have not been to Jamaica until you can say, “Irie” with feeling and passion.
Irie meaning of course all is well or two thumbs up.
Here is also something for you to applaud:
The Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, launched a National School Garden Projects headed by the National 4H clubs. Minister with responsibility for Agriculture and Northeast St Elizabeth MP, Hon. J. C. Hutchinson, addressed the launching ceremony at the Holland Primary School in Holland Bamboo, St. Elizabeth on March 31, 2017.
He hopes that the gardens would cultivate crops for School Breakfast Programmes, and ties in with the Ministry of Education’s plan to eliminate sugary drinks from the school system as of September 2017.
This was a definite wow moment for me since NCD (Non Communicable Diseases) collectively cause great pressure on the health care system here in Jamaica.
By the way, top three NCD’s here are:
- Heart Attack
- Cancer (prostrate cancer for males and breast cancer for females)
This all makes good learning for you though, agreed?
Excellent! No go and impress someone :-)
Posted: April 4, 2017
Return to facts about Jamaica from Jamaica statistics
Pages Related To Jamaica Statistics
Recommended For You ...
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on matching products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products that are related to your search. Be sure to check them out.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
Top Of Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adores his culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' - since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 8,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
His efforts have earned him featured positions in local publications, including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers, as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies and universities.
He invites you to join his friends list and stay updated on all the latest. You are also invited to join his exclusive patron community.