with all that's new at My-Island-Jamaica, Click Here to subscribe
for my updates and don't miss a thing!
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
Jamaica's Gluten-Free Vegan Alternative
Watch! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 60,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Jamaican Breadfruit - Used to make breadfruit flour
by Sheree-Anita Shearer | Associate Writer
As time progresses, more of us seek to find healthier diet options while still enjoying the things we love. That is a daily struggle for most of us (myself included). But, what we can always count on, are the innovative persons who find new ways to help us strike a balance between the two.
Dawta Mieke, or Ms Watkins and her “Rastafari Never Grow Old” brand, is definitely among those persons dedicated to giving us a healthy life without sacrificing taste.
She has an impressive collection of products. Have you watched the video?
Watch Video! The Rastafarian Home Tour
This brings me to her vegan, gluten-free, breadfruit flour. Which if I am honest, did not take that long to prepare. And while she has her various machines to make her work easier, you can try it at home using everyday home appliances too.
How To Make Breadfruit Flour
- So what you will do is wash your breadfruit. It is best to select those you would use for cooking (boiling) not roasting.
- Then, you would peel your breadfruit. To make this easier, you can cut your breadfruit into quarters and then peel it. Remove the “heart” of the breadfruit and then thinly slice each quarter.
- The next step is to dry your breadfruit slices. If you don’t have access to a dehydrator, you can sun dry although that would take a day or two. The oven might be a good idea as well.
The dehydrating process can take an hour or more depending on the size of the batch you are making, so be prepared to wait if you must.
Dehydrated Breadfruit Slices
- When they have been properly dehydrated, you will need to grind them into a powder.
- For this step, a blender, food processor or mortar and pestle will work.
- Blend it for as long as is needed to ensure it is properly grounded. For a more refined texture, just sieve it.
And just like that, you have breadfruit flour. But now that you’ve made it, what benefit does it really have to your body?
Jamaican Breadfruit Flour - Packaged
And just like that, in seven easy steps you have breadfruit flour. But now that you’ve made it, what benefit does it really have to your body?
Nutrients Present in Breadfruit Flour
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
Benefits of Breadfruit Flour
The benefits of breadfruit flour are plenty, especially if you have dietary restrictions. The flour produced from breadfruit has a low-glycemic index, is nutrient-dense, is a complete protein option and is absolutely gluten-free.
What can breadfruit flour be used to make?
Whatever you’d use your flour to do, breadfruit flour is a substitute.
Is breadfruit flour good for diabetics?
Yes, it is. Breadfruit flour does not raise blood sugar and has no additives or preservatives which makes it healthy for everyone. There is no limit to the amount you can have.
Is breadfruit flour keto-friendly?
No, it isn’t. Because breadfruit flour is high in carbohydrates, it will not work with your keto diet.
How long can breadfruit flour last?
Breadfruit flour can last up to 6 years! As long as it was properly dried before it was grounded, the chances of it going bad are slim to none.
What does breadfruit flour taste like?
Watch Video! How To Make Breadfruit Flour
If you don’t have breadfruit or the patience to make it into flour yourself, then just purchase it from Ms. Watkins instead.
Phone: 876-863-8076 / 876-836-2413
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Vegan In Jamaica from Breadfruit Flour
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Breadfruit Flour
References & Sources For Breadfruit Flour
- How to Make BREADFRUIT FLOUR - You'd NEVER Guess It Was This EASY! #JamaicanFood, https://youtu.be/k149THvARXU
- Breadfruit Nutritional value and versatility, https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/add/files/2014/05/Breadfruit-Nutrition-Fact-Sheet.pdf
- Breadfruit Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits, https://www.verywellfit.com/breadfruit-nutrition-facts-calories-carbs-and-health-benefits-4773017
- Breadfruit flour found to be a healthy alternative to other starches for modern foods, https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200917/Breadfruit-flour-found-to-be-a-healthy-alternative-to-other-starches-for-modern-foods.aspx#:~:text=%22Overall%2C%20these%20studies%20support%20the,protein%20option%20for%20modern%20foods.%22
- How Healthy Is Breadfruit? Plus 10 Common Questions, Answered, https://www.my-island-jamaica.com/how_healthy_is_breadfruit.html
- Jamaican Breadfruit, https://www.my-island-jamaica.com/jamaican-breadfruit.html
Other Great Articles You Might Have Missed
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.