Cambios In Jamaica
Reputable Currency Exchange Companies in Jamaica
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 140,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Cambios In Jamaica | Jamaican Notes $50, $100, $500, $1000
by Sheree-Anita Shearer | Associate Writer
Knowing the currency of the country you are visiting and the different options for currency exchange services when you get there is quite important for your vacation to go well. Fortunately, there is a myriad of reputable currency exchange services and Cambios in Jamaica.
New! Ready To Visit Jamaica?
Join countless of travelers who have already unlocked the secrets to experiencing Jamaica on a budget. Click Here and find out how.
And, if you ever need a trustworthy, friendly and knowledgeable local guide, consider booking a private tour with us!
The Jamaican Dollar is our official currency. We have 4 coins, $1, $5, $10 and $20 and 5 notes $50, $100, $500, $1000 and $5,000.
However, resort areas and major establishments will sometimes accept US, Canadian or Pound Sterling for payment. Government agencies are not included.
Places that Offer Currency Exchange Services in Jamaica
- Credit Unions
Major Cambios and Their Accepted Currencies
- Lasco Money - Euro, Great Britain Pound, Canadian Dollar, Caymanian Dollar, US Dollar
- FX Trader - Euro, Great Britain Pound, Canadian Dollar, Caymanian Dollar, US Dollar
These are not the only reputable Cambios in Jamaica, there are smaller local Cambios in each area you visit.
Major Banks and Their Accepted Currencies
- Scotiabank - Euro, Great Britain Pound, Canadian Dollar, US Dollar, Barbadian Dollar, Caymanian Dollar, Swiss Franc, Japanese Yen, Trinidadian Dollar
- National Commercial Bank - Euro, Great Britain Pound, Canadian Dollar, US Dollar, Caymanian Dollar, Japanese Yen, Trinidadian Dollar
- Sagicor - Euro, Great Britain Pound, Canadian Dollar, US Dollar
- First Global Bank - Euro, Great Britain Pound, Canadian Dollar, US Dollar
- First Caribbean - Euro, Great Britain Pound, Canadian Dollar, US Dollar
- Jamaica National - Great Britain Pound, Canadian Dollar, US Dollar, Caymanian Dollar
Most Banks have a currency exchange section where you can simply go in and covert to or from most major currencies whether by cash or cheque.
The costs of converting cash and cheques are usually different. Prices also depend on whether you are buying or selling.
Multilink ATMs of major banks in resort areas also dispense cash in US Dollars as well. You should be able to use your VISA, Mastercard, Cirrus and Plus card at a Multilink ATM with no hassle. American Express Cards are mainly accepted at major resorts.
The exchange rate between the Jamaican dollar and other currencies fluctuates daily. Therefore, you will have to check the local newspaper, bank or Cambios website to see updated rates should you wish to convert from one currency to the next.
Also, if you check the newspaper, for example, the rate you get at the bank or Cambio might be slightly different from what you were expecting. This is so, as each establishment charges commission to convert currencies and the percentage of each charge is different. You may have to shop around to get a “good price”.
The Bank Of Jamaica
The Bank Of Jamaica is the only establishment that deals in some currencies. They convert:
- Australian Dollar
- Great Britain Pound
- Barbadian Dollar
- Belizian Dollar
- Bermudian Dollar
- Canadian Dollar
- Caymanian Dollar
- Danish Krona
- Dominican Republic Peso
- Eastern Caribbean Dollar
- Gibraltar Pound
- Guyanese Dollar
- Hong Kong Dollar
- Japanese Yen
- Northern Ireland Pound
- Norwegian Krone
- Swedish Krona
- Swiss Franc
- Trinidadian Dollar
- US Dollar
Global Exchange is an international currency exchange company that operates in 22 countries, including both airports in Jamaica.
Here, you can convert to or from Jamaican Dollars to:
- Barbarian Dollar
- Canadian Dollar
- Mexican Peso
- Pound Sterling (GBP)
- Scottish Pound
- Swiss Franc
- United Arab Emirates Dirham
- US Dollar
You also have the option to request the currency before your arrival and just collect it at the counter when you get to the airport.
In addition to the 2 airport locations, there is also a Global Exchange location at the Secrets resort in Montego Bay. The exchange rates at airports are usually lower than at other establishments.
If you are uncertain, the Bank of Jamaica’s website has a list of all the currency exchange services and Cambios In Jamaica, if you choose to use a local exchange service not included on the list.
Tips For Visiting Cambios In Jamaica
- There is a single branch of the BoJ in Kingston, Jamaica. So, unless you absolutely have to or you are already in Kingston. I would suggest converting from Jamaican currency to another such as US or Canadian dollars when leaving Jamaica.
- Avoid illegal Cambios and currency exchange methods.
- Try to be as inconspicuous as possible.
- If you aren’t doing exchanges on the property of your hotel, avoid doing it at night as much as possible.
- Try to convert only what you need into hard cash, such as travel or to purchase small souvenirs. Chances are, your card is accepted at most major resorts, restaurants and attractions in Jamaica. Just check beforehand and only walk with as much as you’ll need.
- US currency is the most widely accepted form of payment in Jamaica, other our own currency.
I hope this helps you on your trip to Jamaica. Happy Travelling!
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Jamaican Currency from Cambios In Jamaica
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Cambios In Jamaica
References & Sources For Cambios In Jamaica
- BOJ Counter Rates, https://boj.org.jm/market/foreign-exchange/counter-rates/
- Currency & Banking, https://www.visitjamaica.com/plan-your-trip/good-to-know/currency-banking/
- Currency exchange at branches, https://www.globalexchange.com.jm/en/currency-exchange-at-branches
- Foreign Exchange Rates & Currency Fees | Scotiabank Jamaica, https://jm.scotiabank.com/personal/rates-and-fees/foreign-exchange-rates.html
- List of Cambios » Bank of Jamaica, https://boj.org.jm/core-functions/financial-system/list-of-cambios/
Back To The Top Of This Page
New! Get My Latest Book👇🏿
You asked, I've answered! You no longer need to save for months or years, to enjoy paradise!
JAMAICA On A Budget is your passport to experiencing what I call 'The Real Jamaica' on a budget!
I spilled the beans! sharing my top tips on finding cozy accommodations and secret gems, only the way a native could! Click Here to pick it up on my e-store and start saving now!
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 140,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.