16 Fun Facts About Jamaica
You'd Never Guess It :-)
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
Watch! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS!
Click Here and see why over 90,000 fans are raving about my YouTube Channel!
Without hesitation I present you these, 16 amazingly fun facts about Jamaica - extracted directly from the original article I posted on ezine article.com sometime ago.
This is the test now - let's see how you already knew :-)
If you are not from, have no relative in, nor have yet visited Jamaica, I would at least assume you have heard of Jamaica, right?
Whether it is from the internet, television, your work or in some movie? Is my assumption correct? I'm sure it is, there are many reasons for Jamaica's popularity all around the world.
But even if you are familiar with Jamaica, I can probably bet you (and win) you never knew half of these interesting facts on Jamaica.
I myself was even surprised at some of these findings. Here you go!
- Jamaica was the first country in the Western world to construct a railway, even before the United States! This was only 18 years after Britain!
- Jamaica is the first English speaking Caribbean country to gain independence.
- Jamaica is the first team from the English-speaking Caribbean to qualify for the Football (Soccer) World Cup. This was the 1998 championship.
- On his second voyage to the New World in 1494, the tip of the Blue Mountains in Jamaica was the first land sighted by Christopher Columbus.
- Jamaica was the first commercial producer of bananas in the Western Hemisphere. The hub of the business was Port Antonio, Portland.
- Jamaica also was the first island in the Caribbean to produce rum on a commercial basis.
- The Manchester Golf Club in Jamaica, established in 1868, is the oldest in the western hemisphere!
- Jamaica has more multiple (two or more) live births than anywhere else in the world.
- Jamaica was the first country to impose economic sanctions against the apartheid regime of South Africa.
- Jamaica was the first tropical country to enter the IOC Winter Olympics. The bobsled team's efforts inspired the film 'Cool Runnings'.
- Jamaica was the first colony England acquired by conquest. This was in the year 1655 when they defeated the Spanish.
- We have the second largest butterfly in the world? (The Giant Swallowtail).
- Another of the interesting facts on Jamaica is that it was the first British colonial territory to establish a postal service (in 1688).
- Port Royal in Jamaica was once labeled 'The wickedest city on Earth'. Many of the most famous pirates once frequented the area.
- The Jamaican Flag is the ONLY flag in the world, that doesn't share any of the colors of the American flag.
- And if you know none of the above, (which is fine) I expect you at least know that Jamaica is the birth place of Robert ("Bob") Marley (lol).
Now my friend, get out and share you new found knowledge of Jamaica. Did you know about the many inventions by Jamaicans? Or, maybe you'd like to read some more cool facts about Jamaica? Read the rest here.
You might like these
Looking for some intriguing information about Jamaica land we love? Here are 5 facts on Jamaica.
A compilation of some of the most frequently asked questions on Jamaica. Who knows - your own question may just be answered here!
The new and exciting My Island Jamaica forums allow our readers share stories, ask questions, give their views and reviews as well as comment on topics by others. Great stuff!
Sharing IS Caring! Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
If you found this page useful, please consider subscribing to my weekly newsletter, to get even more.
It tells you each week about the new information that I have added, including new developments and great stories from lovers of Jamaica!
Return to Jamaican Facts from Fun Facts About Jamaica
Return to My Island Jamaica Homepage from Fun Facts About Jamaica
References & Sources For Fun Facts About Jamaica
- Bandera Jamaica |The National Flag Of Jamaica | 10 Questions & Answers, https://www.my-island-jamaica.com/bandera_jamaica.html
- The Jamaica Flag | A Powerful Definition Of Its People, Land & Vision,https://www.my-island-jamaica.com/jamaica_flag.html
Back To The Top Of This Page
See The Best Of Jamaica - In Videos!
My channel reaches over 100,000 subscribers worldwide and has leveraged over 11 million views, sharing, what I call 'The Real Jamaica'. Subscribe today and join our family of viewers.
P.S. Didn't find what you were looking for?
Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.