16 Fun Facts About Jamaica
You'd Never Guess It :-)
Sharing Is Caring! Share this awesome content with your friends now.
Caution! Don't risk your vacation... get my Jamaica Travel Guide
Without hesitation I present you these, 16 amazingly fun facts about Jamaica - extracted directly from the original article I posted on ezine article.com sometime ago.
This is the test now - let's see how you already knew :-)
New! See the real Jamaica in VIDEOS
Click Here to visit and subscribe to my YouTube channel -you'll love it!
If you are not from, have no relative in, nor have yet visited Jamaica, I would at least assume you have heard of Jamaica, right?.
Whether it is from the internet, television, your work or in some movie? Is my assumption correct?
But even if you are familiar with Jamaica, I can probably bet you (and win) you never knew half of these interesting facts on Jamaica.
I myself was even surprised at some of these findings. Here you go!
- Jamaica was the first country in the Western world to construct a railway, even before the United States! This was only 18 years after Britain!
- Jamaica is the first Caribbean Country to gain independence.
- Jamaica is the first team from the English-speaking Caribbean to qualify for the Football (Soccer) World Cup. This was the 1998 championship.
- On his second voyage to the New World in 1494, the tip of the Blue Mountains in Jamaica was the first land sighted by Christopher Columbus.
- Jamaica was the first commercial producer of bananas in the Western Hemisphere.
- Jamaica also was the first island in the Caribbean to produce rum on a commercial basis.
- The Manchester Golf Club in Jamaica, established in 1868, is the oldest in the western hemisphere!.
- Jamaica has more multiple (two or more) live births than anywhere else in the world.
- Jamaica was the first country to impose economic sanctions against the apartheid regime of South Africa.
- Jamaica was the first tropical country to enter the IOC Winter Olympics. The bobsleigh team's efforts inspired the film 'Cool Runnings'.
- Jamaica was the first colony England acquired by conquest. This was in the year 1655 when they defeated the Spanish.
- We have the second largest butterfly in the world? (The Giant Swallowtail).
- Another of the interesting facts on Jamaica is that it was the first British colonial territory to establish a postal service (in 1688).
- Port Royal in Jamaica was once labeled 'The wickedest city on Earth'.
- The Jamaican Flag is the ONLY flag in the world, that doesn't share any of the colors of the American flag.
- And if you know none of the above, (which is fine) I expect you at least know that Jamaica is the birth place of Robert ("Bob") Marley (lol)
Now my friend, get out and share you new found knowledge of Jamaica.
Pages Related To Fun Facts About Jamaica
- Profile Of Jamaica
- Population Of Jamaica
- People Of Jamaica
Return to Homepage from 16 fun facts about Jamaica
New! Talk To Me
Was the information helpful? Something needs changing? I welcome your feedback here.
Recommended For You ...
And, Before You Go!
Here (below) are some sweet deals on matching products at Amazon that you might have otherwise missed.
Amazon.com, by the way, is the internet's most reputable retailer and usually showcases only the best products that are related to your search. Be sure to check them out.
Note: If link does not show, please click here to be redirected to our page at Amazon.com.
Great Articles You Might Have Missed
Please help me get the message out by sharing this article with your friends on social media (links below). Thnx ;-)
Also connect with My-Island-Jamaica.com on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
P.S. Didn't find exactly what you were looking for? Still need help?
Click Here to try our dependable and effective Site Search tool. It works!
Or, simply click here and here, to browse my library of over 500 questions and answers! Chances are someone already asked (and got an answer to) your question.
Top Of Page
About The Author
A patriotic Jamaican who adores his culture, Wellesley has been using this medium to share what he calls 'the uniqueness of Jamaica with the world' - since April 2007.
To date, he serves over 8,300 unique readers / viewers per day.
His efforts have earned him featured positions in local publications, including the Jamaica Gleaner's Hospitality Jamaica, Carlong Publishers, as well as recognition from numerous prestigious international agencies and universities.
He invites you to join his friends list and stay updated on all the latest. You are also invited to join his exclusive patron community.